Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Started by OttoVonBismarck, May 02, 2022, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

The Right crowing like this "leak" is the Pentagon Papers or Snowden is almost as hilarious as the Left blaming Biden and RBG for losing the balance on the USSC.

The USSC has been politicized since the Reaganauts figured out that the USSC was the best bet to roll back the New Deal, so save the crying over the sanctity of the "leak."  They elected THE Mother of all Norm Breakers in 2016, ffs. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2022, 12:23:39 PMIt's abortion. There are going to be protests with high emotion either way. Violence has always come along with this issue.

Yeah, but pretty much only from the Right, and when the Democrats are in the White House.

For some reason, Republican presidencies seem to calm the anti-choicers.  Wonder why that is.  OH WAIT

Valmy

I am just fascinated have they have so little chill. This is the greatest thing for social conservatives since...what? Prohibition? And they just go deeper into the victim mentality and the outrage and the fear mongering and hate peddling.

Granted it is people like Lahren and Shapiro and Huckabee. I am sure someone out there can pause for a few seconds from the toxic culture warring to go "oh we won one? Nice."
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2022, 12:23:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2022, 12:16:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 12:05:36 PMSeen speculation on who leaker (or at least - which "side").

Speculation "the left" leaked it is thus: try to generate political outrage ahead of the decision itself to try and peel off one or two votes prior to it being official.

Speculation "the right" leaked it: by putting the maximalist draft position out there, any deviations from the draft will be painfully obvious.  So trying to force right-leaning Justice to support the draft as is, rather than "water it down".

Which is true I have no idea.  But definitely someone with an agenda - you don't leave these things lying on the bench at a bust stop.

Oh the big right wing culture warrior talking point is how this leak is a leftwing insurrection and we are going to see violence and civil war and FEAR! HATE! FEAR! HATE!

The usual.

Though if this is going to lead to violence and civil war I don't see what difference it makes if this is leaked now or announced later.

But man even when they win they don't stop being outraged. It's so tiresome man.

If this was leaked by a person supportive of the draft in order to cobble together support, and the Supreme Court majority does not overturn R v. W - then I think the chances of seeing violence go up exponentially.

It's abortion. There are going to be protests with high emotion either way. Violence has always come along with this issue.

The only deaths caused by violence that I know about (there may be others) were murders of doctors carried out by anti-abortionists.  Now that the right wing Christian fundamentalists see victory at hand, if that is taken away, there is a non zero chance that sort of killing starts occurring again. 

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2022, 12:32:59 PMI am just fascinated have they have so little chill. This is the greatest thing for social conservatives since...what? Prohibition? And they just go deeper into the victim mentality and the outrage and the fear mongering and hate peddling.

Granted it is people like Lahren and Shapiro and Huckabee. I am sure someone out there can pause for a few seconds from the toxic culture warring to go "oh we won one? Nice."

Prohibition was a progressive project.  But "progressivism" of that era did not mean the same thing as today, and it doesn't easily match up to a 21st century right vs left dichotomy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:33:54 PMThe only deaths caused by violence that I know about (there may be others) were murders of doctors carried out by anti-abortionists.  Now that the right wing Christian fundamentalists see victory at hand, if that is taken away, there is a non zero chance that sort of killing starts occurring again.

As someone at least sympathetic to the pro-life cause you might want to think hard about what other deaths might be involved in talking about abortion...

Jacob

I wonder how much this will galvanize Democrat voters and turnout.

Is this a massive thing right away? Or is this some sort of slow burn, where the public has to see the accumulation of horror stories from the abortion ban before they decide it's a big deal? Or is it the case that abortion is only a galvanizing issue for the hard core anti-abortionists and that pro-choice as a motivating issue is actually pretty soft and low impact?

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 12:36:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2022, 12:32:59 PMI am just fascinated have they have so little chill. This is the greatest thing for social conservatives since...what? Prohibition? And they just go deeper into the victim mentality and the outrage and the fear mongering and hate peddling.

Prohibition was a progressive project.  But "progressivism" of that era did not mean the same thing as today, and it doesn't easily match up to a 21st century right vs left dichotomy.

Really? That was your big take away from my post.

I was just searching my memory for some big social conservative win. Plug in whatever makes you comfortable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:33:54 PMThe only deaths caused by violence that I know about (there may be others) were murders of doctors carried out by anti-abortionists.  Now that the right wing Christian fundamentalists see victory at hand, if that is taken away, there is a non zero chance that sort of killing starts occurring again.

As someone at least sympathetic to the pro-life cause you might want to think hard about what other deaths might be involved in talking about abortion...

We were talking about violence. Just to keep us on subject here.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 12:38:03 PMAs someone at least sympathetic to the pro-life cause you might want to think hard about what other deaths might be involved in talking about abortion...

Pro-life murders doctors, pro-life murders... babies? Is that your argument?

CountDeMoney

Nope. A 40 year effort is finally accomplished? But there's so much more of God's work to do. Contraception. Public Health.  Sex education. Gays and Transgenders and Pedophiles, oh my!

So, so much work to do.  Binge-drinking date rapists and psycho papists on the bench is only the beginning.

CountDeMoney

Are you trying to start shit today? 

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2022, 12:43:01 PM

With that post?

Maybe a little bit.   :blush:

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2022, 12:40:54 PMWe were talking about violence. Just to keep us on subject here.

Apparently the important thing here is supporting anti-abortion talking points. Murdering doctors doesn't rate.

But don't worry, Canadian Conservatives are trustworthy when it comes to abortion. No reason to worry about them on that front.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 12:45:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2022, 12:43:01 PM

With that post?

Maybe a little bit.  :blush:

Go fuck yourself, Yukon Jack.  Even your fucked up wig-wearing conservative ass can tell the difference between Eric Rudolph and the Army of God and a medical procedure.