News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Non Political Images Thread

Started by Jacob, April 21, 2022, 12:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Josquius on May 11, 2022, 01:21:22 PMSo it's a photography magazine and it chooses not to use photography?
They Soviets were edgy back then.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on May 11, 2022, 01:21:22 PMSo it's a photography magazine and it chooses not to use photography?
It did use photography, it's just that the quality wasn't that great back then.

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on April 29, 2022, 07:00:59 PMWhat confuses me on this stuff is how it became such a established (wrong) fact that all these statues were not painted.
You still see plenty of examples about where the paint is still sort of visible. Yet for eons it just wasn't considered this had been done in the not too distant past.

Not so much an established fact, but rather an established ideal since the Renaissance. The classical statues rediscovered at the time constrasted favourably with the coloured medieval art they tried to move away from. Many traces of paint were purposely scrubbed off because it didn't match the self created aesthetic.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2022, 07:13:11 PMBut were the bronze statues painted? That seems like it would be tough to make paint that sticks to metal back then.

They were adorned with stone or glass (eyes) and sometimes completely gilded. I've seen what looks like a red paint on lips (copper?) and traces of silver.

Syt

The future that could  have been. :(

(Ferrari 512S Modulo)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on May 16, 2022, 03:59:54 PMThe future that could  have been. :(

(snip)
(Ferrari 512S Modulo)

A future of cars that cannot turn?  Sounds fun!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

These images are political in that they're art that depict a politically charged subject, but they're not obviously didactic.

The photographer Gabriele Gamberti travelled the US taking pictures of diverse gun owners and their gun collections, for the series the Ameriguns.

Worth clicking on the captions as well, if you're interested.

HVC

Flame throwers guy is my favorite. Piano guy looks like he'd be willing to pay to hunt people.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

A few of those collections look like collections of historical weapons, which I can kinda see as a legit hobby.  The vast majority of those people are clearly fetishizing guns as a symbol of their readiness to fight the supervillains as soon as Superhero Headquarters calls on them to don their buffalo shaman hats.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2022, 04:08:52 PMA few of those collections look like collections of historical weapons, which I can kinda see as a legit hobby.  The vast majority of those people are clearly fetishizing guns as a symbol of their readiness to fight the supervillains as soon as Superhero Headquarters calls on them to don their buffalo shaman hats.

Agreed.
The one Jake posted is just disturbing. With kids around too...
Hell. I flicked through a bunch and didn't get to a non disturbing one. <_<
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Apparently guns are like Pringles.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Thats a lot of money tied up in something other than caring for the family - getting a new smoker for example.

Sheilbh

Map of latitude on Europe - I always find these kind of amazing of just how far north Europe is:

Also for some reason I always thought New York was far more northern than San Francisco (and it also surprises me that north-south it looks like Toronto is closer to San Francisco than Vancouver).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Southern Ontario juts down quite a bit, and Toronto is only at the halfway mark.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

This is about a politician - but not political because I know literally nothing about the guy's politics. But I used to live in Westminster (the borough) and follow a few people who are involved in politics there. So I became aware of Hamza Taouzzale who has just become Lord Mayor - I think he's the first non-white or Muslim Lord Mayor and also the youngest, at 22.

I know nothing about him, but I find it really winning how much he loves his formal/ceremonial garb - especially as everyone else in politics is going tieless and maybe shirtsleeves. So even for a small community event he's officially attending in a park, he'll turn up like this:

Or for the unveiling of a blue plaque for Jimi Hendrix:

Many times he doesn't go for the full outfit but I don't think I've seen a picture of him without the chain of office - and I just absolutely love how much he's really clearly enjoying the traditional Lord Mayor's outfit :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!