And we're back!

Main Menu

Non Political Images Thread

Started by Jacob, April 21, 2022, 12:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

You cannot see attachments on this board.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Always find this stuff incredible - best example is the Sistine Chapel restoration. It is something that always hits home how much more bright and colourful the past was compared to the period drama take.

Constable painting of Waterloo Bridge before restoration:

And after restoration and conservation (mainly removing layers of Victorian varnish that trapped soot/smoke particles):
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Is that THE Constable of contract law 101 fame (mutual mistake)?

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 29, 2022, 10:02:28 AMAlways find this stuff incredible - best example is the Sistine Chapel restoration. It is something that always hits home how much more bright and colourful the past was compared to the period drama take.

For me the best example would be the painted classical statues and buildings. No, the ancient past was not all white marble as far as the eye can see.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2022, 01:31:38 PMFor me the best example would be the painted classical statues and buildings. No, the ancient past was not all white marble as far as the eye can see.
Yeah - exactly that. Medieval cathedrals too.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2022, 01:31:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 29, 2022, 10:02:28 AMAlways find this stuff incredible - best example is the Sistine Chapel restoration. It is something that always hits home how much more bright and colourful the past was compared to the period drama take.

For me the best example would be the painted classical statues and buildings. No, the ancient past was not all white marble as far as the eye can see.

They're all gaudily painted jesters :D

*edit* they also, apparently,  invented leggings

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

What confuses me on this stuff is how it became such a established (wrong) fact that all these statues were not painted.
You still see plenty of examples about where the paint is still sort of visible. Yet for eons it just wasn't considered this had been done in the not too distant past.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on April 29, 2022, 07:00:59 PMWhat confuses me on this stuff is how it became such a established (wrong) fact that all these statues were not painted.

Well the Euros lived among them for so long and just got used to them not being painted.

QuoteYou still see plenty of examples about where the paint is still sort of visible. Yet for eons it just wasn't considered this had been done in the not too distant last.

Only if you really closely study them I think.

But were the bronze statues painted? That seems like it would be tough to make paint that sticks to metal back then.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

It is why I love this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BaumgartnerRestoration

It is amazing what varnish and cigarette smoke will do to even an early 20th century painting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Cover of the first edition of the Soviet Unions magazine on photography, 1926.

Looks a bit like a 90s pop/hip-hop cover. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Eddie Teach

Nah, has the Vanilla Ice haircut.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

So it's a photography magazine and it chooses not to use photography?
██████
██████
██████