News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does the word "meme" mean now?

Started by Razgovory, April 18, 2022, 02:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I know what it used to mean, but modern usage perplexes me.  I was watching videos on Youtube and I hear the word "meme" used in weird ways.  Watching a Total war: Warhammer 2 video the Youtuber says "unless you go with a meme army".  Watching a HOI4 video (I watch PC game videos a lot) the Youtuber says  a certain focus tree is a meme and that naval invasion through allies is possible but "meme-y"  The best I could come up with is meme = joke, but it only partially fits.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I remember back in the day before the Internet was really all dominant and satellite TV was the hot new thing... There was a little short documentary on the Sci fi channel about memes and what they were, I remember a cool take away of whether our civilization is really ours or the memes. Really analysing the meaning of the word and getting all philosophical before Internet memes were really much of a thing.

These days it tends to just mean Internet humour. Mostly stuff using estatablished pattern stock images but then that always has to start somewhere and even new and failed stuff gets the label.

In the context you're talking of, certain warhammer armies being meme armies, it means stuff that is well known online for being cheap and powerful. Eg in Football Manager you always sign a few certain players as they're just unquestionably bargains you're an idiot not to get with a new game.

You also get stuff like meme stocks such as the gamestop thing. Which takes on a different meaning again as its not necessarily good stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Jacob

My take:

Meme = image or concept repeated over and over again, usual with a gesture at humour, often laying self-referential variation on top of self-referential variation.

"Meme army" = army based on a gimmick or over-repetition of a theme.

"A bit meme-y" = unserious, leaning heavily into niche theme, done for "the lolz" much like many memes

There's a bit of a thread there, I think, which is unseriously leaning into a gimmick.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2022, 04:32:27 PMMy take:

Meme = image or concept repeated over and over again, usual with a gesture at humour, often laying self-referential variation on top of self-referential variation.

"A bit meme-y" = unserious, leaning heavily into niche theme, done for "the lolz" much like many memes

There's a bit of a thread there, I think, which is unseriously leaning into a gimmick.

Yeah this is my understanding as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2022, 10:02:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2022, 04:32:27 PMMy take:

Yeah this is my understanding as well.

For the memes - I have had explained to me means doing something in an intentionally silly lighthearted (as opposed to harmful) way.  I learned this when my son explained he was doing something "for the memes" and I had to ask...

Razgovory

Well, thank God I'm not the only one who didn't understand this shit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2022, 05:12:05 PMWell, thank God I'm not the only one who didn't understand this shit.

The whole term is a meme. How ironic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."