News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Finland, Sweden + NATO

Started by Jacob, April 13, 2022, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Sounds like manufactured outrage by political opponents. I don't think anyone thinks that politicians enjoying a party is a bad thing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2022, 11:22:19 AMI think footage of a Finn enjoying a social situation is definitely news and, no doubt, rather damaging. A bit like if someone had candid footage of Pedro Sanchez eating dinner a 5.30 :o

A Finn not acting depressed? That damages the national stereotype and cannot be allowed!  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Solmyr

As mentioned, this is mostly shocking to conservative boomers (and others with such mindset). And even the drug allegations originated from a troll website (Ylilauta, the Finnish version of 4chan), and the mainstream media stupidly picked it up. So it only ended up damaging the image of the media. Also, the Polish PM has defended Marin's right to party, saying that she should be happy because her country is joining NATO.  :D

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2022, 03:48:41 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2022, 11:22:19 AMI think footage of a Finn enjoying a social situation is definitely news and, no doubt, rather damaging. A bit like if someone had candid footage of Pedro Sanchez eating dinner a 5.30 :o

A Finn not acting depressed? That damages the national stereotype and cannot be allowed!  :mad:

We will know it is the end times when a video of the Italian president putting pineapple om a pizza is leaked.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2022, 03:40:09 PMSounds like manufactured outrage by political opponents. I don't think anyone thinks that politicians enjoying a party is a bad thing.

Finnish political scandals are very strange. She only got her job due to her predecessor resigning because of some kerfuffle over a....post office strike.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Solmyr

The Brain

Who is likely to be the next PM?

HVC

Were their scandals always this dumb, or is this because they have a female PM now?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2022, 08:01:26 AMWho is likely to be the next PM?

The National Coalition Party (counterpart to Swedish Moderaterna) is currently leading the polls. Elections are next spring so we'll see if they can keep the lead.

Solmyr

Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2022, 11:12:08 AMWere their scandals always this dumb, or is this because they have a female PM now?

The latter (and she's also leftist). Our female PM gets criticized by right-wing conservatives for basically just existing.

Valmy

Having a female leader is bad enough, but a young one who never went uphill both ways in the snow to school? Who grew up coddled in the decadent leftist west? Who never once was savagely beaten by her parents until she behaved herself? Teh horrah!

Of course being Finnish she probably skied up hill both ways in the snow to school.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Yeah its ridiculous just how much more shit women have to put up with.

For example, I have acquired a list of macro economics/stock market kind of people to follow on Twitter over the last year or so. And I noticed that the one female among them gets more savage comments than any of the men. Like, the guys also get their share of snark comments and whatnot, but pure hostility I have only seen in replies to this one gal, and it is entirely unwarranted.

The Brain

At this point I think that Sweden should withdraw its NATO application. Tell NATO that we're here when they have figured their shit out, but for now enough is enough. It's obvious that NATO doesn't want Sweden to join right now, and desperately sucking up to Turkey is not a great look. The government's inept handling of things also hurts Sweden as a society, since they want to curb private expression of opinion in Sweden to placate Turkey.

Also, even if increased US pressure on Turkey possibly may bring about some improvement in NATO's position, the dominant power of the alliance leaning on a member to support the interest of a non-member is not a great look. More ominously it would mean that every member's veto isn't actually considered important by the US, which would make NATO more risky to join.

The critical thing is that Finland joins. Not Sweden. I understand that the Finns worry that if Sweden isn't in NATO a future nutjob Swedish government may not only not help Finland, but actually stop NATO from using Swedish airspace and territory, damaging the prospects of Finland stopping the Russians near the border (in a few decades it's theoretically possible that the Russian military has improved, so this has to be planned for). But I still think that Finland is safer in NATO, even in a situation where Sweden is not in NATO.

Tonitrus

Almost seems like it would be easier to start a new treaty organization, exclude Turkey/Hungary, and then leave NATO.

Just throw together a quick little summit, sign some mutual defense treaties and call it a day.

Lose the geographic restrictions at the same time and get Japan, Australia, and the rest in too.

Threviel

Yeah, the geography thing was a way for the US to not get tangled up in colonial wars, that ship has sailed by now.

Make it a requirement to be a democratic state ruled by law so that no new Hungary's can come from the inside.

Long term get Japan, Korea, Republic of China and perhaps even India into the alliance, makes China practically untouchable by the commies.