Which Movie Sequel Had the Biggest INCREASE in Quality?

Started by Admiral Yi, April 09, 2022, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Wrath was fun romp at the time, pushed all the right buttons.  It looks ridiculous now.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2022, 06:57:19 PMWrath was fun romp at the time, pushed all the right buttons.  It looks ridiculous now.

Does anyone else feel like a little giggle when I mention my movie....Wrath...of Khan?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

I actually rewatched Khan a few months ago, and while it's not going to make a "best sci-fi films evah" list I think it's still pretty great. Yes, it very much feels like an old movie, but in a good way, and I have no qualms with watching old movies anyway. It's a very nice adventure romp, and the whole "age of sail in space" slow-paced approach to the space battles remains fairly unique in the age of Star Wars.

I will say though that Montalbán's acting hasn't aged that well. Too over the top.

Sheilbh

Imagine the shame of acting in a film with William Shatner and being the one called out for over-acting  :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2022, 04:11:08 AMImagine the shame of acting in a film with William Shatner and being the one called out for over-acting  :ph34r:

It's certainly a duel of titans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7X01_j_oDA&ab_channel=Movieclips

Tbf Shatner is probably worse, I guess I'm just more used to him at this point  :P

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2022, 01:45:23 AMIt's a very nice adventure romp, and the whole "age of sail in space" slow-paced approach to the space battles remains fairly unique in the age of Star Wars.

I totally agree! 

I was watching Picard with the GF, and it seems like massive starships turned into fighter planes, with point ahead weapons aimed by aiming the ship, and dodging and weaving constituting "tactics".

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2022, 09:43:03 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2022, 01:45:23 AMIt's a very nice adventure romp, and the whole "age of sail in space" slow-paced approach to the space battles remains fairly unique in the age of Star Wars.

I totally agree!

I was watching Picard with the GF, and it seems like massive starships turned into fighter planes, with point ahead weapons aimed by aiming the ship, and dodging and weaving constituting "tactics".

Yeah, modern Star Trek is basically Star Wars now. All we need to see next are lumbering World War 2-esque bombers dropping space bombs on a Klingon Bird-of-Prey.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2022, 09:43:03 AM

I totally agree!

As soon as Star Trek went from models to CGI (mid 90s)  all their star ship battles went like that.  Check out any DS9 space battles.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Anyway, Star Trek II is good and all but Star Trek IV is by far more interesting, more entertaining, and more re-watchable than any of the Star Trek movies. So I would say that as a sequel to the terrible Star Trek III, Star Trek IV: Save the Whales is by far the biggest INCREASE in quality as a sequel.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 12, 2022, 09:59:40 AMAnyway, Star Trek II is good and all but Star Trek IV is by far more interesting, more entertaining, and more re-watchable than any of the Star Trek movies. So I would say that as a sequel to the terrible Star Trek III, Star Trek IV: Save the Whales is by far the biggest INCREASE in quality as a sequel.

Right in the same series you're missing the HUGE jump from 5 to 6.

ST6: Undiscovered Country has long been my favourite of the original crew movies, and 5 was a hot mess.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2022, 10:03:34 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 12, 2022, 09:59:40 AMAnyway, Star Trek II is good and all but Star Trek IV is by far more interesting, more entertaining, and more re-watchable than any of the Star Trek movies. So I would say that as a sequel to the terrible Star Trek III, Star Trek IV: Save the Whales is by far the biggest INCREASE in quality as a sequel.

Right in the same series you're missing the HUGE jump from 5 to 6.

ST6: Undiscovered Country has long been my favourite of the original crew movies, and 5 was a hot mess.

I was tempted to say Star Trek VI because I also absolutely adore that movie but I decided to stick with the movie that came to mind first.

IV and VI are the two Star Trek movies I rewatch most. I usually get bored by II half way through, and the others are very bad or forgettable. I'm including the TNG movies and the new shitty Star Treks too.

celedhring

I admit to having a huge soft spot for In The Search for Spock. When I was a kid seeing the Enterprise destroyed was a big deal. It's the weakest of the 2-3-4 trilogy (every film leads to the next so nicely, even though they are self-contained), certainly.

6 I haven't watched in a long time.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2022, 10:18:36 AM6 I haven't watched in a long time.

Do yourself a favour some time you're in the mood for 80s-90s sci-fi.  The historical parable about the fall of the Berlin Wall aged well.  Kirk has a nice character arc about the death of his son and learning to live with Klingons.  Sulu is captain of the Excelsior.

That being said - the Star Trek movies don't appear to be on any streaming services I can find! :mad:

celedhring

Mmmm... looks like I can rent it off Apple TV/Google. Maybe some time if I'm in the mood.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2022, 01:28:17 PMAlso, in snotty film critic circles Alien has a better reputation.

Snotty film critic circles, maybe.
But also, Sigourney in skimpy panties.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011