Which Movie Sequel Had the Biggest INCREASE in Quality?

Started by Admiral Yi, April 09, 2022, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I've always thought of Alien and Aliens as roughly equal in quality, but since they're very different genres straight comparisons are difficult.

T1 is much better than T2.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2022, 03:41:42 PMT1 is much better than T2.

You're crazy, man.

T1 is cool, but it's still a schlocky, low-budget B movie.  T2 was big-budget Hollywood with all the bells and whistles of its time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

I think to find the big jump, you really need to find a bad first movie with a good sequel. Not a good or excellent first movie with an even better second.

Which is what makes this interesting, since bad movies don't typically get sequels at all....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2022, 04:11:55 PMI think to find the big jump, you really need to find a bad first movie with a good sequel. Not a good or excellent first movie with an even better second.

Which is what makes this interesting, since bad movies don't typically get sequels at all....

I think this might be where we have to go back to The Wrath of Khan.  I think I would call The Motion Picture a bad movie...

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2022, 04:13:52 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2022, 04:11:55 PMI think to find the big jump, you really need to find a bad first movie with a good sequel. Not a good or excellent first movie with an even better second.

I think this might be where we have to go back to The Wrath of Khan.  I think I would call The Motion Picture a bad movie...

Boring? Sure. "Bad" I'm not sure it gets there.

A possiblity is Logan. The previous two Wolverine movies are really bad. Logan is pretty good.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2022, 04:17:31 PMBoring? Sure. "Bad" I'm not sure it gets there.

A possiblity is Logan. The previous two Wolverine movies are really bad. Logan is pretty good.

Isn't "boring" about the worst sin a movie can have?

I've watched some pretty bad movies because at least there was something interesting about them...

Sheilbh

Just realised the correct answer to this thread is Evil Dead 2.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2022, 04:19:20 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2022, 04:17:31 PMBoring? Sure. "Bad" I'm not sure it gets there.

Isn't "boring" about the worst sin a movie can have?

I've watched some pretty bad movies because at least there was something interesting about them...

Whenever it was on I always tried to be around to watch the ending. Always liked the Vogayer twist.

It's not a bad movie.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2022, 04:17:31 PMa bad movie...

Boring? Sure. "Bad" I'm not sure it gets there.

[/quote]

Disagree with you here.
Origins wolverine was awful.
The Wolverine was pretty good.
Logan was also good.
Though they're all films about a common character rather than sequels. They really don't follow each other - which is sad as The wolverine seemed set for a sequel.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2022, 04:21:09 PMJust realised the correct answer to this thread is Evil Dead 2.

I honestly don't know if I ever saw 1 or 2 (have seen Army of Darkness - it's fun).

But they're both pretty popular cult movies though aren't they?

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2022, 04:35:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2022, 04:21:09 PMJust realised the correct answer to this thread is Evil Dead 2.

I honestly don't know if I ever saw 1 or 2 (have seen Army of Darkness - it's fun).

But they're both pretty popular cult movies though aren't they?

Evil Dead 2 is essentially a remake of Evil Dead 1, just better and with a dark comedic tone. Sheilbh might be onto something...

Duque de Bragança

Evil Dead 2 is a bigger budget remake of the first, rather than a bona fide sequel. celed beat me to it

Army of Darkness is pretty fun as well, but not exactly the same genre.

By the way, no one to argue that Zombi/Dawn of the Living Dead is actually better than Night of the Living Dead?

Berkut

Star Trek The Motion Picture was, at best, a very very mediocre movie. It didn't even do anything that the series hadn't done, just did it on a big screen a lot longer. I could easily imagine that story just being an episode of Trek.

Start Trek II is a classic. and there is no way you could have done it in an episode of Trek.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2022, 04:54:27 PMStar Trek The Motion Picture was, at best, a very very mediocre movie. It didn't even do anything that the series hadn't done, just did it on a big screen a lot longer. I could easily imagine that story just being an episode of Trek.

Start Trek II is a classic. and there is no way you could have done it in an episode of Trek.
Disagree.  In a TOS episode you could not have devoted a 20 minute scene to showing the Enterprise at every possible angle, over and over again. :sleep:

I made my wife watch that movie and she was like "Ok, we get it, the Enterprise is really cool.  Can we move on now, or were all the Trekkies still jerking off at this point?" :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?