News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bruce Willis' best movies

Started by celedhring, March 31, 2022, 02:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite Bruce Willis' movies?

Die Hard
20 (55.6%)
Die Harder
0 (0%)
Die Hard with a Vengeance
1 (2.8%)
Looper
2 (5.6%)
12 Monkeys
11 (30.6%)
Sixth Sense
2 (5.6%)
Unbreakable
2 (5.6%)
Moonrise Kingdom
0 (0%)
Sin City
0 (0%)
Pulp Fiction
12 (33.3%)
The 5th Element
10 (27.8%)
I have no taste so I'll vote Armageddon
1 (2.8%)
Other (name it)
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Syt

There has certainly be an abundance of movies in the past where female characters' primary function was to add eye candy and/or be the prescribed love interest and/or function as damsel in distress to motivate the main character's actions. Maybe there's been an overcorrection in mainstream movies, but I find it rather refreshing when sexually compatible characters aren't thrown into a relationship all the time and can rather stand as fleshed out characters on their own. The first and foremost question should always be: "Does this relationship add anything tangible to the narrative?" Same goes for sex scenes. Putting them in for the sake of it and not for a narrative purpose brings the forward drive of the story to a grinding (hah!) halt. I can appreciate the aesthetics of such scenes, but there are other venues to scratch that itch.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

No mention of Hudson Hawke?  :huh:

My vote:  Moonlighting

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2022, 03:11:34 AMThere has certainly be an abundance of movies in the past where female characters' primary function was to add eye candy and/or be the prescribed love interest and/or function as damsel in distress to motivate the main character's actions. Maybe there's been an overcorrection in mainstream movies, but I find it rather refreshing when sexually compatible characters aren't thrown into a relationship all the time and can rather stand as fleshed out characters on their own. The first and foremost question should always be: "Does this relationship add anything tangible to the narrative?" Same goes for sex scenes. Putting them in for the sake of it and not for a narrative purpose brings the forward drive of the story to a grinding (hah!) halt. I can appreciate the aesthetics of such scenes, but there are other venues to scratch that itch.

Well I agree we don't need bad romances. It just feels weird when there often isn't one, especially as often they will insert a lot of tension between two characters and just have it not pay off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2022, 02:53:14 AMCounterpoint the 'will they/won't they, oh they will' is a bit tedious (though more so in TV)

True. Though counterpoint people in this thread are saying they loved moonlighting :P

Quoteand sex scenes are generally a waste of time.

Maybe, but it is not like mainstream movies had those anyway. But hey they are fun. Most of those big CGI action fights are a waste of time as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Romance plots in blockbusters felt so tacked on... can't say I miss them.

I'd say the lack of emotional stakes in blockbusters is a feature, not a bug. They are meant to be easily consumable.

Admiral Yi

You have to have some sort of love interest in male fantasy action adventure movies like Bond.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2022, 02:39:06 AMYou have to have some sort of love sex interest in male fantasy action adventure movies like Bond.

Fixed.  :P

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2022, 12:43:53 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2022, 12:32:04 PMI am probably just weird, because I don't get the love affair with super hero movies either.

I mean....as a genre, they are all utterly predictable and without any emotional weight at all.
The hill I will die on is that this is because no-one's shagging.

It's very weird that the big genre has basically no love interest/romance storylines whatsover. But this may be because I grew up in the 90s when there was a lot - whether it was action movies always having a love interest, or the assortment of mid-budget thrillers that will probably only live on streamers now - all the erotic thrillers, political thrillers, John Grisham adaptations etc.

And maybe mainstream cinema was over-sexed but I find it really strange how chaste most big films are now.

I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, but even to my fairly superficial understanding, don't superhero movies also on occasion have romance elements? I mean, Spider-Man has Mary Jane, Superman has Louis Lane ... do these no longer happen in the movies?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2022, 02:49:32 PMI'm not a big fan of superhero movies, but even to my fairly superficial understanding, don't superhero movies also on occasion have romance elements? I mean, Spider-Man has Mary Jane, Superman has Louis Lane ... do these no longer happen in the movies?
I've not watched any of the recent Superman films because they all look awful and I hate Zack Snyder films :blush:

True on Spiderman - although it is very chaste, but that's appropriate for a teen romance. But I think that's just another way that Spiderman is the most relateable of the big comic book characters.

I think the hint of libido in the latest Batman film is part of why I liked it. But I can't think of anything in the Marvel movies. It seems weird to me - although as I say I grew up in the 90s which I think was possibly the most over-sexed decade of mainstream big films, so maybe that just warped me :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2022, 02:49:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2022, 12:43:53 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2022, 12:32:04 PMI am probably just weird, because I don't get the love affair with super hero movies either.

I mean....as a genre, they are all utterly predictable and without any emotional weight at all.
The hill I will die on is that this is because no-one's shagging.

It's very weird that the big genre has basically no love interest/romance storylines whatsover. But this may be because I grew up in the 90s when there was a lot - whether it was action movies always having a love interest, or the assortment of mid-budget thrillers that will probably only live on streamers now - all the erotic thrillers, political thrillers, John Grisham adaptations etc.

And maybe mainstream cinema was over-sexed but I find it really strange how chaste most big films are now.

I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, but even to my fairly superficial understanding, don't superhero movies also on occasion have romance elements? I mean, Spider-Man has Mary Jane, Superman has Louis Lane ... do these no longer happen in the movies?

They are there, but they're definitely way less prevalent than they were in prior decades. I think it's more a Marvel thing, though - but Marvel dominates so much that it kinda paints everything. I'd say the exception are the Spidey movies, but Zendaya is a big star nowadays and you kinda have to feature her prominently. But Thor*, Cap, Iron Man, etc... all had their romance plots fall to the wayside and now it's all about companionship and stuff. I suppose some bored critic will eventually come up with a brainy cultural essay about it.

*They are bringing Natalie Portman back for the next one, but they had pretty much ignored her after the first film and instead made it all about the relationship with his brother.

The Larch

Characters in the MCU are by and large sexless Ken/Barbie dolls. As somebody said about those movies, "everybody is hot but nobody is fucking".

PRC

Quote from: The Larch on April 03, 2022, 07:19:40 PMCharacters in the MCU are by and large sexless Ken/Barbie dolls. As somebody said about those movies, "everybody is hot but nobody is fucking".

Wanda has (had) a sentient sex toy.

The Larch

Quote from: PRC on April 03, 2022, 10:49:52 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 03, 2022, 07:19:40 PMCharacters in the MCU are by and large sexless Ken/Barbie dolls. As somebody said about those movies, "everybody is hot but nobody is fucking".

Wanda has (had) a sentient sex toy.

That's a mean way to talk about Vision.  :P