News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bruce Willis' best movies

Started by celedhring, March 31, 2022, 02:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite Bruce Willis' movies?

Die Hard
20 (55.6%)
Die Harder
0 (0%)
Die Hard with a Vengeance
1 (2.8%)
Looper
2 (5.6%)
12 Monkeys
11 (30.6%)
Sixth Sense
2 (5.6%)
Unbreakable
2 (5.6%)
Moonrise Kingdom
0 (0%)
Sin City
0 (0%)
Pulp Fiction
12 (33.3%)
The 5th Element
10 (27.8%)
I have no taste so I'll vote Armageddon
1 (2.8%)
Other (name it)
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2022, 06:56:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 31, 2022, 03:39:33 AMI despise 5th element.

Why do you hate fun?

I used to really like it, but the last time I caught it on TV, it tired me. If going with first impressions then yeah I loved it.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2022, 08:49:43 AMNo love for Looper????

It says "favorite" movies and you can only pick two. If you can pick Looper over all but one of the others listed, then something may be wrong with you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Yeah, Looper would've been my third choice.

Habbaku

Unbreakable and Fifth Element for me. As others have said, I don't consider Pulp Fiction to be a "Bruce Willis" movie. I had a hard time not picking Die Hard.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

The thing with Pulp Fiction, while it is not a "Bruce Willis" movie, it is hard to imagine a better casting for his role than him.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2022, 02:26:05 AMA celebration of Bruce Willis' career, the common-man action star, who also managed to make many interesting films on the side of his well-known actioners. What's your favorite film of his? Looking back at the body of his career, he had a hell of a run.

Since nearly everybody is going to vote Die Hard, I allowed 2 votes per user, to get some diversity.

For me it's Die Hard + Pulp Fiction. I also love Looper, one of the few last films that felt like blew up my brain. I used to be a huge fan of both Sixth Sense/Unbreakable, but I sort of feel they haven't aged that well (they're still outstanding films).

Die Hard and Fifth Element.

Pulp Fiction is excellent, but I would not rate Willis as the lead, more like a lead, among others.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 31, 2022, 08:33:24 AMDie Hard and 5th Element, yup.  Those movies wouldn't have been as good as they were without him.

Berkut

OK, so using the metric of a movie that would have simply been a different movie without him, I would have to go with Die Hard.

My problem is that I just don't think Die Hard is nearly as great a movie as everyone else does. Probably because I just don't love that genre all that much as most people do....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

I don't get the love for Die Hard.

I mean - it's a fine movie.  I'll certainly watch it if it's on.  But I don't get how it's any better than any of a bunch of 80s action movies.

I agree with the sentiment that Pulp Fiction is a great movie, but not really a Bruce Willis movie.

I apparently need to see Looper.  Actually given how I man-crush on Rian Johnson I really do need to see it.  But I haven't so I can't rank it.

I think that leaves me with Sixth Sense and 5th Element.  Which are both great movies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I think it's that Die Hard is seen as the exemplar of the whole genre.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2022, 11:47:32 AMI think it's that Die Hard is seen as the exemplar of the whole genre.
Yeah I think it's kind of an epochal film. Maybe there were bigger trends in place and there were other productions doing this, but I think it pivots the entire genre.

But to me it marks the shift from the 80s action (with a literal killing machine, Rambo, special forces guys etc) into 90s which is either those guys but retired or more normal people like cops or normal, non-special soldiers - plus a different style of wise-cracking (less Roger Moore with an Austrian accent, more Will Smith in Bad Boys). And I think a lot of that rests on Willis' performance.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Yeah, Die Hard is comfortably a top 5 Hollywood action film of all time (imho) and it set the framework of the genre for the 1990s and 2000s. It was incredibly influential, there was a time when people would pitch action films to studios as "Die Hard, but in [insert location]". And a lot of that rests on Willis' portrayal as McLane.