What types of movies will you not watch given a choice at all?

Started by merithyn, March 28, 2022, 09:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 29, 2022, 05:18:23 AMAdam Sandler movies. And other comedies.

I'm with you on his comedies, but Adam Sandler is a superb actor on his serious drama films.  :sleep:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2022, 06:53:16 AMSo I guess the Languish least-favoured movie would be *The Human Centipede* - but it's a romantic comedy? 😉

The Human Centipede gave us this work of art, so I'm fine with it:

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Okay, add cringe comedies in with stupid comedies.

I hate comedies - or any movie - where there's a butt of jokes that's a major story line. Like BB, it just makes me uncomfortable and isn't funny at all.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on March 29, 2022, 03:47:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2022, 06:53:16 AMSo I guess the Languish least-favoured movie would be *The Human Centipede* - but it's a romantic comedy? 😉

The Human Centipede gave us this work of art, so I'm fine with it:

You might say that this clip *is* a romantic comedy based on Human Centipede ...

:D 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I don't watch movies based on books I likke unless I see reviews stating that the movie follows the book.

I don't watch movies based on book series (and don't read book series for the most part).

Don't care for shock horror or gore horror, but slow-building horror is good.  The best horror movie ever done, IMO, was The Haunting and you never actually saw anything scary (but it was scary as shit).

I agree that comedy that is just mockery is usually unfunny, except in special circumstances like the first Borat movie.  ROMCOMs can be good, but there, again, I will wait for the review.

I'll watch pretty much any movie directed by Clint Eastwood or Ron Howard.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on March 29, 2022, 01:12:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2022, 12:51:16 PMAnd though it's more a tv genre than movies - but cringe comedies, ala The Office and the like.  Just makes me feel uncomfortable, not humorous.

I also can't handle cringe humour, the reason why I've never been able to get into The Office. Even if it might be more common in TV than in the cinema, you still have almost anything by Sacha Baron Cohen, that I can't watch either else I die of sheer cringe.

Yeah Sacha Baron Cohen stuff.....can't stand it.

and speaking of The Office...really anything with Ricky Gervais. I can't stand him.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Centipede means a unit of 50 Roman soldiers. Ignorant swine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I usually won't watch horror movies... not because I find them scary, but because they are almost always total trash these days.  I love a lot of the classic horror films, like The Exorcist, The Shining, The Thing, The Fly (not sure why they all have 'The' in the title  :hmm: )
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Period dramas that really wish they were Game of Thrones. Now that is some cringey shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2022, 09:57:24 PMPeriod dramas that really wish they were Game of Thrones. Now that is some cringey shit.

It depends how they want to be got I'd say. Gritty and plotty could work. I've got a few of those on my list to watch someday. Quite a lot of foreign stuff on Netflix that seem interesting.
On the other hand the tudors style "look, the King is having sex whilst he talks about his plan!" then no thanks.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2022, 06:18:49 AMCentipede means a unit of 50 Roman soldiers. Ignorant swine.

The hard part is getting 50 fully armed Romans to agree to be sewn mouth to ass ...  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on March 30, 2022, 06:12:13 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 29, 2022, 01:12:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2022, 12:51:16 PMAnd though it's more a tv genre than movies - but cringe comedies, ala The Office and the like.  Just makes me feel uncomfortable, not humorous.

I also can't handle cringe humour, the reason why I've never been able to get into The Office. Even if it might be more common in TV than in the cinema, you still have almost anything by Sacha Baron Cohen, that I can't watch either else I die of sheer cringe.

Yeah Sacha Baron Cohen stuff.....can't stand it.

and speaking of The Office...really anything with Ricky Gervais. I can't stand him.

I know I started off the 'no cringe humour' thing, but I thought Borat was really damn funny.  The naked wrestling scene had me laughing uncontrollably.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.