What types of movies will you not watch given a choice at all?

Started by merithyn, March 28, 2022, 09:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Talking with a friend of mine tonight about the kinds of movies neither of us will watch. We both agreed that pretty much any type of horror was right out (and they included Hallmark holiday movies in that genre :lol:). I added intensely emotional dramas, like Sophie's Choice and Prince of Tides. Both cause nightmares for me. My friend just dislikes horror.

Are there any types of movies you prefer not to watch? Which ones?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Horror, movies based on games, and driving cars fast movies.

Grey Fox

It's easier to list the movie genre I would watch.

But Horror is right out. Being scared is not something I enjoy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

I love horror.  :ph34r:

I don't usually enjoy big, dumb comedies or rom-coms.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

I won't watch horror in the theatre, but I like it at home. Any driving movie or heist movie I can't stand. DC movies (unless directed by James  Gunn)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 28, 2022, 09:18:06 PMI love horror.  :ph34r:

I don't usually enjoy big, dumb comedies or rom-coms.

Yeah, that's pretty out for me, too. Though I do love a good rom-com. :blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2022, 09:20:49 PMI won't watch horror in the theatre, but I like it at home. Any driving movie or heist movie I can't stand. DC movies (unless directed by James  Gunn)

How can you not like heist movies?

HVC

I've tried to like them. I find their either easily predictable or my mind wanders because I lose interest.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I'm not really big on comic book movies.  I can buy that an alien would come to earth, be able to pass as human, shoot lasers out of his eyes and decide to fight for truth, justice and the American way, but I can't accept that he would dress like a rodeo clown to do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2022, 10:19:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2022, 09:20:49 PMI won't watch horror in the theatre, but I like it at home. Any driving movie or heist movie I can't stand. DC movies (unless directed by James  Gunn)

How can you not like heist movies?

Well, they are rather formulaic. I'm ok with them though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

celedhring

I don't think I have a "never" genre. There are genres, however, that I will watch even if the movies themselves are mediocre - because the genre itself entertains me (i.e. sci-fi, thrillers), and genres I will only watch if the movies are good (romance, drama).

Josquius

Horror is iffy. Usually they're dull but a good one can be enjoyable. They need some kind of decent concept that usually takes them in more of a Sci fi /fantasy direction. I tend to be more into lore and explanations than cheap thrills.

I don't think there's a genre I'd never watch. Flat romance I guess, though a decent rom com is acceptable.

I'm not sure what the genre is called but I guess hard man movies are out? At first 20 years ago when they were a new thing they were fine. But now they're so formulaic and just ooze toxic masculinity nonsense.  Chopper vs The Firm sort of thing.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

One of the good things about horror is that the movies are often 80-90 minutes.

I can't really think of a hard no genre for me. Well, maybe the kind of artsy this-is-about-me-not-the-audience movie that should have been a diary entry or something instead of a movie. But since these movies are never observed outside of pretentious film festivals they rarely pose a problem.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.