What is really wrong with the media, mainstream and otherwise

Started by Berkut, February 20, 2022, 05:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

It is all clickbait.

This is just an example, of course, but I thought it was just bizarre how over the top the headlines is:

Millions of Americans will be forced into an involuntary polar plunge this week

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/20/weather/weather-central-us-cold-snap-snow-storm/index.html

[/size]What the hell? Talk about a ridiculous headline. The story is utterly routine - its winter, and there is a cold front coming.Millions of Americans? Well yeah. That is how weather works.

Will be forced? Huh? Is someone going to pull out a gun and goose march them into the weather?

Involuntary? WTF does that even mean when it comes to the freaking weather?

Polar plunge is fine - a bit hyperbolic, but hey, it is arctic, and the weather is going to drop fast, so...ok.

But more to the point, someone has it as their job to craft a headline like that. That's what they do - figure out how to make the headline as over the top as possible, to the point that the headline is really the story.

I bet that one actually worked as well. Someone probably got an "attaboy!" for that drivel.

This concludes your Berkut grumpy post of the day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Strikes me as too long - "force into" and "involuntary" are surely just the same, so at least one is redundant. Journalism should be in the active voice 99% of the time - but it's 100% for headlines.

Also not sure if "millions of Americans" helps it feels like it should either be Americans or you should identify where those millions are, or if you need "this week" either - it's about the weather and it's not in the past. We can work it out.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

It is quite true that stories have fact-checkers but headlines do not (and they are not written by the story authors, but by flunky editors).

I generally ignore headlines when evaluating stories.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I've not seen this kind of headline for the weather. Bizzare.

But yes. It's all clickbait. It runs on outrage-which is why it tends towards the populist right.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

There are so many better headlines that could have been written.

"What does cold air do to the weather? The results will shock you!"

"People [your age group] in [your area] are raving about this amazing new weather"

"Caroline S has sent a sex invite to you. Click here to respond."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

A sensational weather forecast is what's wrong with journalism?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Is this the time to discuss weather journalism is in decline or not?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

You know, my uncle was a political writer for one of those London tabloids. I can still remember his biggest scoop. The headline read: "High-ranking politician caught wearing women's clothing." Of course, you turn to page 2 and you found out it was Margaret Thatcher, but by then you'd already bought the paper.
- Daphne Moon

:P

There may be more clickbaity headlines as a whole, but isn't this what papers (esp. tabloids) have been done for a long time?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2022, 08:31:44 AM
You know, my uncle was a political writer for one of those London tabloids. I can still remember his biggest scoop. The headline read: "High-ranking politician caught wearing women's clothing." Of course, you turn to page 2 and you found out it was Margaret Thatcher, but by then you'd already bought the paper.
- Daphne Moon

:P

There may be more clickbaity headlines as a whole, but isn't this what papers (esp. tabloids) have been done for a long time?
Yeah- it's just the media's changed. So it used to be and still is - what's the most striking/drag you in headline (albeit that isn't wildly unrelated to the story).

Headlines that do well in search engines are different and the SEO ones tend to, in my view, be a bit crap because they're designed to grab the attention of Google etc not humans (but that drives lots of readers). Good journalists try to balance the data they have on what people will click with the desire that people read the story they've reported (normally because there's a story they think is worth telling and reading) but I think it's really tough.

Although clickbait to me is either the "one cool thng you've not heard of" or the various iterations on "x destroys/explains/lays out y" - it's something that tells you nothing about the story you're about to read. Then you click on the story and it's not really related - it's a switch and bait.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah, I saw that article, didn't read it. Was trying to find out what a voluntary polar plunge was supposed to be.
PDH!