News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Home Improvement Question

Started by merithyn, February 18, 2022, 11:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on February 19, 2022, 05:20:20 PM
After months of hearing my bathtub faucet leaking - and being told it wasn't fixable without tearing the whole thing out - my bestie and I fixed the leak. I will point out that this was the same faucet that my ex shot down every suggestion I had for fixing it.

Two trips to the hardware store - is it ever just one? - and $38 has fixed the problem.

Next, I flush my hot water heaters!

Good job. In my experience other people that don't want to fix a plumbing problem become belligerent about it.

When I was a kid my dad made support a leaky faucet for years. He never actually fixed it, he sold the house.  Leaky faucets are trivially easy to fix.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Agreed, it's easy to fix a leaky faucet or even to put in a new faucet. Usually anyways. I did have a bathroom faucet that I'd changed washers in many times before, but as it aged I had a really hard time trying to get it apart. I wanted to replace it anyway with a different type so did that instead.

Darth Wagtaros

We got new windows this past Autumn. One cracked immediately and we are still waiting for replacements. A friend is looking to get new ones and he'sbeing told it'll be August because of how screwed up everything is.
We got a new furnace and new central air this past year (expensive year) along with a new back door.
Also unfortunately, a new water heater and new basement floor after a flood.
I can say that the new furnace/AC/window combo didn't impact much.  Its still too hot in Summer and still chilly in Winter.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 19, 2022, 08:54:12 PM
We got new windows this past Autumn. One cracked immediately and we are still waiting for replacements. A friend is looking to get new ones and he'sbeing told it'll be August because of how screwed up everything is.
We got a new furnace and new central air this past year (expensive year) along with a new back door.
I can say that the new furnace/AC/window combo didn't impact much.  Its still too hot in Summer and still chilly in Winter.
Some expensive repairs there for sure!

I just had my water heater replaced. It was ten and a half years old and seemed to be working fine, but it's a ten year rated unit so I decided to replace it before any problems showed up. Would want to do it within a year or so anyways, I figured.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on February 18, 2022, 11:45:00 AM
You all know that I just bought my first house last year. I need to replace all of the windows in the house (they're all original from 1936) and get new siding.

Right now, I'm soliciting quotes and estimates for just windows, just siding, and both at once from several different companies. If I can only afford one, it'll be the windows, as I'm pretty sure I'm losing a lot of money in heating/air conditioning. But I still want an idea of what the siding would be down the road.

I've asked friends for recommendations, I've looked through r/HomeImprovement for their recommendations. But this is a first for me - and a huge expenditure. I'm understandably nervous and I guess want to know what to expect to the best of my ability.

What I'm wondering is if there is anything that I need to be aware of or know that I'm not going to have any idea on until it goes left? Like, when you've done something like this, what do you wish you'd have known?
Go for the windows this year, the sidings next.

If your house is very old and insulation has never been redone, going triple glass won't be useful since you will lose heat from the walls and roof, which have a bigger surface than the windows.  Double glass would be enough and not as costly, and... I just can't remember which state you're living now.   :blush:   Anyway, insulation is good against heat & cold as well.

However, if you plan to do further homework in the coming years and upgrading your insulation through walls and roof, going triple glass now would be the sensible choice, obviously.
No brand to recommend as they differ in your area from mine.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

This is exhausting. I've spent tons of time combing through the BBB, reading reviews (canceled one appointment for a quote after reading the company BBB reviews), and trying to find at least three companies to come out.

First one came today. At $1400/window and with 24 windows in the house, that was a big uffda. I got a quote for just doing the downstairs this year. (I'll plastic the upstairs windows next winter.) And I'll do the other 12 next year. So, for 12 windows with all and sundry, it's $18,000. Still high, but definitely more manageable.

Next person comes on Wednesday, and I'm still waiting on the third company to get back with me. We shall see...
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: KRonn on February 19, 2022, 09:25:37 PM

I just had my water heater replaced. It was ten and a half years old and seemed to be working fine, but it's a ten year rated unit so I decided to replace it before any problems showed up. Would want to do it within a year or so anyways, I figured.
Our water heater was 6 years old and had 4 left in the warranty.  POS.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on February 19, 2022, 05:20:20 PM
I will point out that this was the same faucet that my ex shot down every suggestion I had for fixing it.
Why did he do that?

Also, I've fixed/replaced leaky faucets before and it's not hard.  I suck at plumbing, too (I'm decent at electrical work, but hate/fear plumbing).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 21, 2022, 05:21:55 PM

That sucks. The things should last longer than 6 years. Did you get any reimbursement on a replacement?

And it's such a hassle to clean up lots of water in the basement. We got a severe rainstorm a couple years back which gave water in my cellar. It was only over about one section but a hassle to wipe up. I threw out the old thicker cloth rugs because they sop up too much water. I replaced some with rubberized rugs, and others with thinner cloth rugs which will absorb some water to prevent spreading but will be easier to dry out.

This storm was so severe that many homes and businesses were flooded, including the hospital which was so badly damaged that it'll be torn down and rebuilt.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: KRonn on February 25, 2022, 09:30:22 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 21, 2022, 05:21:55 PM

That sucks. The things should last longer than 6 years. Did you get any reimbursement on a replacement?

And it's such a hassle to clean up lots of water in the basement. We got a severe rainstorm a couple years back which gave water in my cellar. It was only over about one section but a hassle to wipe up. I threw out the old thicker cloth rugs because they sop up too much water. I replaced some with rubberized rugs, and others with thinner cloth rugs which will absorb some water to prevent spreading but will be easier to dry out.

This storm was so severe that many homes and businesses were flooded, including the hospital which was so badly damaged that it'll be torn down and rebuilt.
The replacement was free, but not the labor.
PDH!

KRonn

Right, good that at least the warranty got you a new free one.