And we're back!

Main Menu

Grey Eminence (Indie Grand Strategy)

Started by Syt, February 15, 2022, 03:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 23, 2022, 12:59:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2022, 12:51:06 PM
Does anyone here know about  the Data-Oriented Tech Stack they are talking about and how that might help make this ambitious project a reality?

If they can synthesise sufficient velocity to achieve synergy with core values of agile and scale it to proactively manage vertical retrospective innovation, it could work.

Can you dumb that down for a mere lawyer so I can understand  :)

Tamas

I meant to say that data-oriented tech stack sounds like corporate fancy speak to pretend they have something unique. :)

Syt

Well, this is what it says on their website:

QuoteUnity's Data-Oriented Technology Stack was unveiled in 2017 and it offers incredible performance improvements thanks to three important innovations:

The Entity Component System, which lays out data in the memory in a cache-friendly way.
The Job System, which parallelizes work on multiple CPUs.
The Burst Compiler, which generates super-fast vectorized code using LLVM.
1) Entity Component System
Data-Oriented Design
At the core of Unity DOTS is the concept of data-oriented design. Its goal is to organize data for efficient processing in order to feed data to the CPUs as fast as possible.

Cache Optimization
The processing speed of modern CPUs is so high that often the bottleneck is the bandwidth and latency between the registers of the CPU and the computer's RAM. To counter this problem, CPUs contain several cache levels.

Memory diagram
When the CPU needs a value, it first looks it up in the caches before trying to access it from the RAM. The closer a cache is to the registers, the faster it is to access, but the smaller its memory is.

Modern CPUs don't access memory byte-by-byte, but rather in chunks of 64 bytes, which are called cache lines. When trying to read a particular memory location, the entire cache line is fetched, which means that accessing other values from the same cache line is fast. However, if other values in the cache line are not needed for the current computation, a cache miss occurs, which slows down the process significantly. Thus, arranging data in the memory according to its access pattern results in significantly better performance.

Entity Component System
The Entity Component System (ECS) is what applies the data-oriented design paradigm in practice by separating data from logic. It is made up of Entities, Components and Systems.

Entity diagram
Entity
An entity is an identifier; it doesn't store data or logic, but instead identifies which pieces of data belong together. This contrasts with traditional object-oriented programming, where each entity contains its own data.

Component
A component contains a set of data. It can be attached to an entity, which can also contain other components. Which data is stored in each component depends on how the data is accessed: if two values are always accessed together, they should generally be stored in the same component.

System
A system provides the logic that transforms component data. It usually contains the functionality of one game aspect (e.g. an hp system would add or remove hit points). Every system defines the components it needs to read and write to.

2) Jobs System
Parallelized algorithms with multi-threading have existed for a long time. However, Unity DOTS' new Jobs System provides an interface to easily parallelize code and sync data with the main thread. It abstracts the direct thread handling from the developer and instead enqueues every job at a central scheduler, which executes it when a thread is available. Crucially, Unity has developed automatic race condition checks. Race conditions occur when one thread is writing to an array while another thread is simultaneously attempting to read the same data. They are notoriously difficult to debug.

3) Burst Compiler
A significant source of performance gain comes from optimizing code at its lowest level. Usually this means writing logic in languages like C++ or C, which can be executed directly on the processor. Thanks to the Burst Compiler, C# can be transformed into highly optimized machine code, which is designed to run natively on whichever processor a given computer is running.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2022, 12:51:06 PM
Does anyone here know about  the Data-Oriented Tech Stack they are talking about and how that might help make this ambitious project a reality?

It's all about connecting the DOTS, I suppose.

EDIT: to elaborate, I agree with Tamas (but I haven't read the thing Syt shared, but I'll go do that now)

Jacob

Okay, so the DOTS - if it does what they say it does - should help with response speed, it sounds like. So if CK / EUOT / HOI is laggy, then maybe this will be less laggy.

Which is fine and great if it works, but doesn't in any way help alleviate the apparent biggest risk of the project which is executing on the massive ambition at a sufficient level of quality.

I mean... maybe it makes conceptualizing and implementing the design a bit easier, but that's the kind of thing that - IMEX - is something a few engineers passionately believe "makes things easier" but which design may or may not find to be true in practice.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!