Biden reaffirms US commitment to Georgia and Ukraine

Started by citizen k, July 23, 2009, 03:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on July 27, 2009, 11:12:39 AM
Then again, we shouldn't shed too many tears over the damage to our relations with Russia caused by Biden's comments.  Russia always views foreign relations as a zero-sum game, and Chekists in power have been trained extensively to take advantage of naive Westerners.  Therefore there wasn't much prospect for truly improved and productive relations.  Maybe Biden's task was to show Russians that they're not dealing with country bumpkins, in his own peculiar and ironic way.
Yeah, I kind of considered that angle too. But my inclination is to think that once again Biden has gone his own way, and not the way of the Obama admin.

derspiess

Maybe Biden's task was to show Russians that they're not dealing with country bumpkins, in his own peculiar and ironic way.

I wish he was that slick.  Remember, this is the guy who last year told a dude in a wheelchair to stand up so everyone at the campaign rally could see him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2009, 11:16:36 AM
HIs comments about Russia were accurate though weren't they?
Some of them may be on the mark, but if the Obama admin is trying to reset and improve relations with Russia, working on some cooperation in issues like Iran (US got permission to move troops and supplies across Russia/Kyrgistan heading to Afghanistan). So Biden seems to be going off on his own, over and above, or beside, what the Obama admin is doing and saying. Wouldn't be the first time.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: KRonn on July 27, 2009, 10:06:56 AMHe said some very unkind things about Russia, about a bad economy, population going down, a nation on serious decline, and what ever else.

It's all true.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2009, 11:22:04 AM
Maybe Biden's task was to show Russians that they're not dealing with country bumpkins, in his own peculiar and ironic way.

I wish he was that slick.  Remember, this is the guy who last year told a dude in a wheelchair to stand up so everyone at the campaign rally could see him.

He's just a lovable goofball, not like that cunt harpy from Alaska.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2009, 11:16:36 AM
HIs comments about Russia were accurate though weren't they?

Truth has no place in international diplomacy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Sure, Biden looked silly because the guy didn't stand up.  Can you imagine the upside, though, if the guy did stand up after being so inspired by Biden?

Caliga

I think Biden is maybe trying to be the next Berlusconi. :)

Berlusconi is still way funnier and more awesome though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

The quote:

Quote"I think we vastly underestimate the hand that we hold," Biden said during an interview with The Wall Street Journal at the end of his trip to Georgia and Ukraine. "Russia has to make some very difficult, calculated decisions. They have a shrinking population base, they have a withering economy, they have a banking sector and structure that is not likely to be able to withstand the next 15 years, they're in a situation where the world is changing before them and they're clinging to something in the past that is not sustainable."

And the photo Fox News choose to accompany it.  :P

BVN

Quote from: DGuller on July 27, 2009, 11:40:43 AM

Sure, Biden looked silly because the guy didn't stand up.  Can you imagine the upside, though, if the guy did stand up after being so inspired by Biden?
He was trying to perform a miracle and the ungrateful bastard didn't want to cooperate...  :mad:

KRonn

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 27, 2009, 06:20:44 PM
The quote:

Quote"I think we vastly underestimate the hand that we hold," Biden said during an interview with The Wall Street Journal at the end of his trip to Georgia and Ukraine. "Russia has to make some very difficult, calculated decisions. They have a shrinking population base, they have a withering economy, they have a banking sector and structure that is not likely to be able to withstand the next 15 years, they're in a situation where the world is changing before them and they're clinging to something in the past that is not sustainable."

That doesn't sound so bad, probably pretty much accurate actually, especially the part about "clinging to something in the past that is not sustainable." Clinging to their guns and red book, perhaps?   ;)   

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 27, 2009, 06:20:44 PM
And the photo Fox News choose to accompany it.  :P

I think we have totally regressed to the old pre-radio days where every single news source was partisan and you just chose which newspaper full of lies and propaganda you wanted to read :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2009, 09:56:26 AMI think we have totally regressed to the old pre-radio days where every single news source was partisan and you just chose which newspaper full of lies and propaganda you wanted to read :P
I'll take whichever one William Randolph Hearst runs these days, please.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

I tried to warn you guys.  He's entertaining though, isn't he?  :D
Lol... I remember you warning us!    :lol:

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2009, 10:26:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2009, 09:56:26 AMI think we have totally regressed to the old pre-radio days where every single news source was partisan and you just chose which newspaper full of lies and propaganda you wanted to read :P
I'll take whichever one William Randolph Hearst runs these days, please.

Murdoch is teh Zombie WR Hearst :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.