The EU declares gas and nuclear energy "green"

Started by Jacob, February 02, 2022, 12:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2022, 11:47:17 AM
:wub: :frog:
I unironically love the way France absolutely embraces technology (especially big technology) as an aesthetic and representing the glory of France - like those massive gears behind him or this video which is just great:
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1447876788626108423?s=20&t=lSyLgPzIAkmj4B_KAuBMGg

It's even in the way they rejoice in selling expensive weapons to Indonesia:
QuoteEmmanuel Macron
@EmmanuelMacron
Officiel du gouvernement - France
42 Rafale ! L'Indonésie fait le choix de l'excellence industrielle française ! Le savoir-faire des plus de 400 entreprises françaises et des milliers de travailleurs qui conçoivent le Rafale est reconnu. En Indo-Pacifique, cette nouvelle étape renforce nos partenariats.

It's so alien. On arms - the UK and Germany sell a lot of weapons, my impression is it's done quietly and not celebrated as part of the business and technical innovation of those countries. But even the embrace of tech itself in quite that way is a little distinctively French from de Gaulle - concorde, TGV, the nuclear program etc. That tech is key to France continuing relevance and it reflects on France. It's great :wub:

Edit: It might be why I really like Wilson which is closest we came to something similar with the "white heat of technology" style
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2022, 02:29:12 PM
China uses so much energy it is insane. I mean they use more power than the US and most of the west combined. And for what? I know they have lots of manufacturing but that doesn't even come close to explaining it.
Lots of people with rapidly improving living standards. There is no society in the world where energy consumption hasn't been really closely linked to quality of life.

Manufacturing is important as well - I think China makes over half the world's steel.

QuoteAnd they use tons of coal, so much they have to import massive amounts of it which seems to be one of the weak points in their whole system.
Yes - it's why they're starting to transition away through massive expansion in nuclear, gas - and renewables.

There's no energy transition or move to net zero that doesn't run through or actually be made in China.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2022, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 10, 2022, 02:30:26 PM
How.much of the world's stuff do they produce? I always assumed all the coal was to power manufacturing

Imean they produce more than the US...but not that much more. I don't know why they are so inefficient.

Twice more. And almost all of the steel.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 10, 2022, 02:38:26 PM

I unironically love the way France absolutely embraces technology (especially big technology) as an aesthetic and representing the glory of France - like those massive gears behind him or this video which is just great:

Shelf, I think those are turbine blade assemblies from a large turbine or large turbofan engine.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2022, 02:43:32 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2022, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 10, 2022, 02:30:26 PM
How.much of the world's stuff do they produce? I always assumed all the coal was to power manufacturing

Imean they produce more than the US...but not that much more. I don't know why they are so inefficient.

Twice more. And almost all of the steel.

Don't know about steal but aluminum takes a shitload of energy to make
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Looking it up China produces over half of the world's aluminum 36,000 thousand tones out of the world 66)  each tonne takes 15kwh per kilogram and produces 11.5 tonnes of co2 per tonne of aluminum produced
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2022, 02:32:51 PM
ITER is due to be finished in 2025. Maybe Macron knows Fusion is imminent. Maybe I am a wild optimist but I think this decade might change everything.

If fusion power exists on a significant scale before 2100 then I consider that a great success.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.