News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World War Three

Started by mongers, January 22, 2022, 11:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

NATO has done the opposite - it has expressly said any attack on NATO will be disastrous for Russia.  But in the same breath has said that NATO is only providing support to Ukraine but not intervening. 

The logic is that it draws a clear line in the sand over which Putin cannot cross without retaliation from NATO - but definitely leaves the door open for Russia to do its worst in Ukraine.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2022, 12:03:36 PMI mean given the poor performance of the Russian army it starts to call into question how well maintained their strategic forces are so maybe it proves that, but little else.

Yeah, I take it as a given that a bunch of Russia's nukes are going to fail. So, like, some of the West will probably survive in a total exchange... not that that makes it worthwhile.

Josquius

The climate is in such a fragile place at the moment that I don't think it'll take many nukes to push it over the edge.

And then China owns whatever is left over in a glorious plastic dystopia.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on March 23, 2022, 03:31:42 PMThe climate is in such a fragile place at the moment that I don't think it'll take many nukes to push it over the edge.

But many nukes will solve global warming.

PJL

Quote from: Maladict on March 23, 2022, 03:39:43 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 23, 2022, 03:31:42 PMThe climate is in such a fragile place at the moment that I don't think it'll take many nukes to push it over the edge.

But many nukes will solve global warming.

No, it won't. It will stop global warming for a few years, then accelerate it due to the loss of foliage caused by all the nuclear bombs.

crazy canuck

But at least non of us will be around to witness that end result...  oh wait

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2022, 04:06:34 PMBut at least non of us will be around to witness that end result...  oh wait

I don't see the down side.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 23, 2022, 11:19:18 AMI think the risk of a nuclear exchange is greater than WWIII.

I don't think Russia vs the West = a World War, unless at least China and possibly several other countries are involved as well.

But there's real risk that Putin kicks off a nuclear exchange in this.
Belarus and Kazakhstan woud join, China would at least be an agressive neutral.  If China joins, NK might join as well.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 23, 2022, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2022, 04:06:34 PMBut at least non of us will be around to witness that end result...  oh wait

I prefer not to see my family die in a nuclear winter in the next couple of years.  YMMV

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2022, 06:40:29 AM

I prefer not to see my family die in a nuclear winter in the next couple of years.  YMMV
You might not see them, you might die first...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 24, 2022, 09:34:05 AM

Your are right, I didn't consider the more positive outcome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2022, 10:13:22 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 24, 2022, 09:34:05 AM

Your are right, I didn't consider the more positive outcome.
Glad to be of use. ;)

Berkut

Sam Harris had a great guest on talking about the impact of the Ukraine war long term.

He mentioned how unfortunate it is that Putin is going to force a lot of countries to ramp up defense spending.

Not because they shouldn't - the should for sure - but because at the end of the day, spending on defense is such a waste of resources. And the world is realizing that history has not ended, and the ability to defend yourself against aggressors is still quite necessary.

Defense spending as a percentage of a nations budget has historically been radically higher then it has in the post WW2 era. Indeed, one could argue that defense spending (and offense spending, for that matter) was the primary purpose of national governments for most of human history where there was such a thing as a "nation".

It's a little sad that we have to, in some fashion, go back to building tools to kill each other instead of investing in more and better health care.

To say nothing of what all that spending is going to do in regards to the true primary global concern - climate change. This will (and has) taken away not just resources from that problem, but more importantly perhaps, attention.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

If we're lucky it will make people focus more on what's important for a state to do, and what is less important and can be ditched.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The biggest reason why defense spending as a percentage of government revenue has gone down is that government revenue has shot up in the post-WW2 era.  In 1913, the UK was spending 2.9% of GNP on defense; in 1976, 4.4%.  In 2000, 2.4%.  A drop, but not a huge one from 1914 and a big one from pre-end-of-Cold-War.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/military-expenditure-as-a-share-of-gdp-long
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!