2022 Winter Olympics

Started by Maladict, January 17, 2022, 10:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

They could always bring a non-smartphone mobile phone.  :P

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2022, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2022, 04:07:33 PM
Almost like we should stay out of China...
I don't understand people that go to places like Russia or China these days.  You know that you're going to be under heavy surveillance while there, and more likely than not you're going to leak enough information about yourself while there that you're probably never going to be informationally secure anywhere for the rest of your life.  Sure, maybe you're not that interesting to their secrete services, but you never truly know what they do and don't find interesting about people and how many years later they find it interesting, and why leave yourself exposed to hostile unaccountable governments in any case?
Sometimes you need to visit police states for school.
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 20, 2022, 10:22:09 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2022, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2022, 04:07:33 PM
Almost like we should stay out of China...
I don't understand people that go to places like Russia or China these days.  You know that you're going to be under heavy surveillance while there, and more likely than not you're going to leak enough information about yourself while there that you're probably never going to be informationally secure anywhere for the rest of your life.  Sure, maybe you're not that interesting to their secrete services, but you never truly know what they do and don't find interesting about people and how many years later they find it interesting, and why leave yourself exposed to hostile unaccountable governments in any case?
Sometimes you need to visit police states for school.
Surely there must be some more local options with better commute times? :unsure:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2022, 10:08:59 AM
Apparently athletes are recommended not to take their mobile phones to China as there it will be mandatory for them to install an app specific for the Olympics but probably will be used to spy on and censor them.

This is all so ridiculous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2022, 11:53:02 AM
Apparently athletes are recommended not to take their mobile phones to China as there it will be mandatory for them to install an app specific for the Olympics but probably will be used to spy on and censor them.

It has to be just the Chinese throwing their weight around and making a point about their relative power.  get people used to them being in charge.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 20, 2022, 12:13:13 PM

It has to be just the Chinese throwing their weight around and making a point about their relative power.  get people used to them being in charge.

We should be adults and say thanks but no thanks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2022, 12:18:59 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 20, 2022, 12:13:13 PM

We should be adults and say thanks but no thanks.

Indeed.

Jacob

Just give everyone new phones when they come back.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on January 20, 2022, 02:43:56 PM

Nah that's still very dangerous. CBC has the right strategy. Give everyone clean phones for the Games & then have them analyzed. Hopefully we can find something about what the Chinese are doing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on January 20, 2022, 02:43:56 PM
Tapping someone's smart phone does not limit the snooping to just what's on the smart phone. :unsure: Everything connected to by that smartphone is potentially compromised.

crazy canuck

It is similar to the advice we give to Canadians traveling to the US if they have confidential information on their phones - take a spare that does not contain any confidential data.

Syt

The thing I enjoy most about Winter Games is the beautiful venues in charming winter landscapes. :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Did Homer make an appearance?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

:D

Apparently it's a disused industrial plant that's been turned into a museum.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I am kind of having my stomach turn of the thought of an Olympics being done in the shadow of the Uighur concentration camps, Hong  Kong, and the general dystopian nightmare of China, but I do enjoy the many reports of irregularities and horrible behaviour by the hosts.

There was the case of the Dutch reported manhandled by Chinese security on the street live on their evening news, plus the various reports of inexplicably wrong covid quarantines for some athletes (I think one Finnish ice hockey player was (might still is) locked up 18 days after his positive test), the bad conditions at the quarantine hotels (like no reliable Internet which is a big deal when they can just without explanation switch you to another facility like it happened to one of the female athletes around the start).

Sport-wise in the 1000m short track speed skating, there is a mini-scandal in Hungary since we thought we won our very first individual winter gold (the previous one(s) were in relay short track speed skating). However, our guy was disqualified because of a tussle with the Chinese athlete just before the finish line, so it became a Chinese gold by committee decision. Having watched the incident, I think it was a reasonably fair decision though, although the Chinese guy was far from innocent himself: the Hungarian guy showed mildly, the Chinese counter-attacked forcefully making the Hungarian guy fall, who then as part of his fall made sure to kick the legs of the Chinese guy.

However, I have just read, the semi finals of this race are a scandal in South Korea, since oddly enough the first two places there went to South Korean athletes until they were both disqualified and their spots given to Chinese ones, one of whom won the gold medal above.