And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Winter Olympics

Started by Maladict, January 17, 2022, 10:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2022, 02:07:20 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 18, 2022, 01:06:18 AM
From what I've read they do seem to be taking a positive turn with Tokyo and the coming winter Olympics potentially being the last of the dark age of peak capitalism.
Paris plans to use a lot of existing facilities with a minimum of new construction.

What does this mean? :unsure:

Unprecedented health and prosperity.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2022, 09:14:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2022, 07:23:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2022, 10:13:11 AM
We should boycott them.

Only pariah states want to host them any more.

The next Olympics are in France, Italy and the USA.

From what I've read they do seem to be taking a positive turn with Tokyo and the coming winter Olympics potentially being the last of the dark age of peak capitalism.
Paris plans to use a lot of existing facilities with a minimum of new construction.

Well, the "Paris" Olympics will have football tournament games played in Marseille for instance. Might be due to PSG not wanting its precious grass to be spoiled for non-FIFA competitions or SdF charging too much.  :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 18, 2022, 09:18:33 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2022, 09:14:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2022, 07:23:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2022, 10:13:11 AM
We should boycott them.

Only pariah states want to host them any more.

The next Olympics are in France, Italy and the USA.

Well, the "Paris" Olympics will have football tournament games played in Marseille for instance. Might be due to PSG not wanting its precious grass to be spoiled for non-FIFA competitions or SdF charging too much.  :P

The soccer tournament seems to be an issue often. LA 2028 plans to also have it in San Francisco & San Diego.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Football tournaments need a lot of stadia for the group phase, that's why.
2 or 3 are not enough i.e Parc des Princes, Stade de France in Saint-Denis and Charléty for Paris/Île-de-France. Colombes, for those of you who watched Escape to Victory is outdated if not crumbling (only a small section is still open) and has not been in consideration since the '70s. Good enough for field hockey though.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Just checked and the Colombes stadium will be actually used, but for field hockey.
French Polynesia (!) will have the surf contest (makes more sense than Paris truth be said).

Forget what I said earlier the following cities will share the football tournament games, including Paris (Parc des Princes).

Bordeaux   Existant   Football
Parc Olympique lyonnaisS   Décines-Charpieu   Existant   Football
Stade Vélodrome    Marseille   Existant   Football
Stade de la Beaujoire   Nantes   Existant   Football
Stade Riviera    Nice   Existant   Football
Stade Geoffroy-Guichard   Saint-Étienne

Grey Fox

One day Eastern Canada will have the winter olympics. Quebec city, Toronto, Ottawa, somewhere & the Alpine Ski events will be in the USA at Lake Placid.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2022, 02:07:20 AM

What does this mean? :unsure:

I can only assume he is referring to the glorious return of the baseball tournament to the Summer Olympics last year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

From the Washington Post:

QuoteChina warns foreign Olympic athletes against speaking out on politics at Winter Games

A member of China's Olympics organizing committee warned that foreign athletes may face punishment for speech that violates Chinese law at the 2022 Winter Games, spotlighting concerns about the country's restrictions on political expression.

"Any expression that is in line with the Olympic spirit I'm sure will be protected," Yang Shu, deputy director general of international relations for the Beijing Organizing Committee, said in a news conference Tuesday. "Any behavior or speech that is against the Olympic spirit, especially against the Chinese laws and regulations, are also subject to certain punishment."

In broad strokes, China's stance falls in line with the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) established rule against political protest at the Games. The IOC also announced before last year's Summer Games in Tokyo that athletes who staged protests there would be punished, ignoring U.S. calls to allow respectful protest for human rights issues.

But China's formulation of its rule appeared to be a shade stricter than the IOC's, raising questions about how Beijing plans to interpret and enforce it. Rule 50 of the IOC charter forbids "demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda" at Olympic venues. Yang said Tuesday that "speech" could be subject to punishment and cited Chinese law, which is far more restrictive than many countries'.

Beijing's warning came amid discussion in the West over expected political restrictions and surveillance at the Games, which will take place next month. Speakers at a seminar hosted by Human Rights Watch on Tuesday said they were advising athletes against criticizing China's human rights record while in Beijing for their own safety, according to Reuters.

In China, critics of the government have routinely been sentenced to prison for staging political protests, or for comments they made on social media. While it's unlikely Beijing would risk international ire to severely punish an athlete at the Olympics for speech, Yang declined to answer on Tuesday what the maximum punishment could be for political demonstration at the Games.

China's human rights record has come under heavy scrutiny ahead of the Olympics, with the United States and several other countries announcing a diplomatic boycott of the event as a statement against China's "ongoing genocide and crimes against humanity in Xinjiang."

Athletes' freedom of speech in China has also become a flash point, after Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai made explosive allegations against China's former vice premier Zhang Gaoli in November, saying he coerced her into sex. Peng disappeared from public view, prompting international expressions of concern for her safety.

The Canadian cybersecurity research group Citizen Lab reported Tuesday that the health-tracking smartphone app that Olympics attendees are required to download has security flaws that made users' personal data vulnerable. The app's code included a list of political keywords and a feature that allows users to report "politically sensitive" content, Citizen Lab's report said.

A representative of the Beijing Organizing Committee said at Tuesday's news conference they were not aware of the political keyword list and would look into the matter. The official said they were working to patch any security vulnerabilities in the app.

China's Foreign Ministry also fielded questions on Tuesday about reports that the United States and other countries have advised athletes to take "burner phones" to Beijing to avoid surveillance. Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian dismissed the concerns, saying those countries "who are guilty of the charge themselves are accusing the innocent party without any evidence."

Beijing announced on Monday it was canceling public ticket sales to the Games, as the city recorded its first case of the highly contagious omicron variant of the coronavirus. Jing Quan, an official at the Chinese Embassy in Washington, said at Tuesday's news conference that only a few direct flights will remain between the United States and China next week, with others canceled because of coronavirus cases among passengers.

Yang said "dedicated departments" will evaluate punishment for athletes who violate the IOC political protest ban.

"I think for the athletes to participate in the Olympic Games, they should follow the spirit and requirements provided by the Olympic Charter," he said. "The politicization of sports is one of the things opposed by the Olympic Charter."

Already shaping up to be the greatest Olympics since 1936.   :)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Almost like we should stay out of China...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2022, 04:07:33 PM
Almost like we should stay out of China...
I don't understand people that go to places like Russia or China these days.  You know that you're going to be under heavy surveillance while there, and more likely than not you're going to leak enough information about yourself while there that you're probably never going to be informationally secure anywhere for the rest of your life.  Sure, maybe you're not that interesting to their secrete services, but you never truly know what they do and don't find interesting about people and how many years later they find it interesting, and why leave yourself exposed to hostile unaccountable governments in any case?

Valmy

I don't know. Just to see it. My parents visited St. Petersburg and said it was weird having a Russian handler following them around the whole time but, you know, lots of cool things to see in St. Petersburg.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

The Hungarian athlete who won Hungary's first Winter Olympics gold medal ever in 2019 (in short track speed skating I believe) has been left out of this year's delegation. Which would be puzzling, until you realise he made a China-deriding Instagram post two years ago (some airport picture while in China and commenting "F*ck China"), and the coach of the Hungarian team is Chinese.

The coach protested to the national olympic authority and also publicly, pointing out that he has been managing the team since 2012 in order to "enhance the friendship of China and Hungary" and it is unacceptable to have China criticised this way and he offered to resign and demanded an apology from the Hungarian speed skating association as well. He has been made to stay and received his apology and the athlete has been dropped from the team.

Grey Fox

That's the safer route for the athlete too. Probably wouldn't enjoy Chinese gulag.

Tamas

Apparently athletes are recommended not to take their mobile phones to China as there it will be mandatory for them to install an app specific for the Olympics but probably will be used to spy on and censor them.