News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Started by Sheilbh, December 26, 2021, 02:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Looks like this just broke as only a short story on the Guardian and no obituaries yet. But very sad  - he was one of the real heroes in the world and lived a life of incredible courage:
QuoteArchbishop Desmond Tutu, giant in fight against apartheid South Africa, dies at 90
The Nobel laureate died on Boxing Day in Cape Town, South African president Cyril Ramaphosa said
Jason Bourke
Sun 26 Dec 2021 07.10 GMT

Desmond Tutu, the cleric and social activist who was giant of the struggle against apartheid in South Africa, has died aged 90.

Tutu, described by foreign observers and his countrymen as the moral conscience of his nation, died in Cape Town on Boxing Day.

"The passing of Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu is another chapter of bereavement in our nation's farewell to a generation of outstanding South Africans who have bequeathed us a liberated South Africa," president Cyril Ramaphosa said./quote]

:(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Watch the Craig Ferguson interview. He won peabody for it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

RIP  :(  Truly a great man, who could look beyond his own experiences.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Not just a great man, but a good man as well. RIP
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point