And we're back!

Main Menu

Changing your mind

Started by Sheilbh, December 24, 2021, 11:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on December 26, 2021, 01:24:14 PM
Sure most of the complainers are simply racist,

that is, I think, a mantra that the left has been repeating so much the last 30 years or so that they've ended up believing it themselves.
And now they can't back out because the loss of face for sucking up to the most reactionary ideology possible would be massive.

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 26, 2021, 02:17:10 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 26, 2021, 01:24:14 PM
Sure most of the complainers are simply racist,

that is, I think, a mantra that the left has been repeating so much the last 30 years or so that they've ended up believing it themselves.
And now they can't back out because the loss of face for sucking up to the most reactionary ideology possible would be massive.
see what I mean....
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

One view I came around to is that citizens of countries should get a lot of say in who gets to apply to join their club, and I even think that for pragmatic reasons they don't have to justify their feelings.  Most people want to share their community with those who share their cultural heritage, it's not just the bigots who feel this way.  No one wins if citizens feel like the only way for them to have a say in immigration policy is to vote in fascists.

It's great that countries like US exist, and obviously my family personally benefitted from that, but I don't think that open doors is a policy that will work for any country, especially not for countries that are formed along ethnic lines, and where "others" will still be "others" many generations later, even if everyone says the right thing.  Many centuries of peaceful coexistence can be canceled out by a couple of years of brutal ethnic conflict fueled by pent up resentment.