If Russian invaded Ukraine, would you favor or oppose war against Russia?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 19, 2021, 11:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durka

US favor
6 (16.2%)
US oppose
8 (21.6%)
Euro+Canada favor
4 (10.8%)
Euro+Canada oppose
19 (51.4%)
Other favor
0 (0%)
Other oppose
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Admiral Yi

Let the people speak.

I'm asking if your country should ride to Ukraine's rescue.

Sheilbh

No. Obviouly not. Ukraine isn't a NATO member and I think there's a lot of risk because I think winning matters more to Russia than the UK/West (obviously not Ukraine) so they may escalate with other actual NATO members on their borders (and who could say that'd be wrong) and they're a nuclear power.

We should however give Ukraine all the support we can to enable them to defend themselves - weapons, training, whatever other support we can. We should help Ukraine as much as possible, but not to the extent of mutual defence.

Edit: And we should make clear we're not interested in doing deals with Russia about Ukraine, if Ukrainian leaders aren't in the room. We are supporting a sovereign state.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

If Russia promises to keep it conventional, then definitely in favor.

Jacob

I'm in favour of Iran level sanctions + massive support for Ukraine and - if they lose, massive support for any insurgents rather than war.

I'm not opposed to war to the degree I was opposed to the wars in Iraq, but I don't think it's the right move.

Valmy

I am in favor of doing what the Soviets did to support North Korea in the Korean War, not so much what the Chinese did to support North Korea in the Korean War.

We should just give them tons of those attack drones and just blow all of Russia's shit up. Make it as expensive as possible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

What Sheilbh says I guess. No thanks to ww3 though don't sell out Ukraine and by all means push the line of neutrality hard.
I very much doubt Russias invasion of Ukraine will be official anyway.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Non-belligerent status seems reasonable for a small country. Send lots of aid to Ukraine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

As a proud Ukrainian-Canadian... Canada should not "go to war" with Russia.  Even as a part of NATO we have little ability to project force to the region.

Full on economic blockade of Russia sounds just fine to me though.  Which I suppose could be seen as an act of war by the Russians, but no less so than Russia forcibly invading (again) a foreign country.

If Canada did go to war with Russia however, I would reluctantly but proudly volunteer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 19, 2021, 11:40:13 PM
I'm in favour of Iran level sanctions + massive support for Ukraine and - if they lose, massive support for any insurgents rather than war.

I'm not opposed to war to the degree I was opposed to the wars in Iraq, but I don't think it's the right move.

ditto

Grey Fox

The word of the west is already worth jack shit. China is winning the international game, we can't let Russia get away with anymore shit.

I've voted for war.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

OttoVonBismarck

No, but I would be in favor of 1980s Soviet invasion of Afghanistan style covert weapons funneling and such, and obviously basically a severing of all U.S. economic ties with Russia, akin to Cold War footing. I'm honestly not sure we shouldn't already be on a cold war trade footing with Russia and China, to be frank (there would not be a simple or fast way to get there with China.)

Razgovory

I don't think the Soviets are going to invade Afghanistan again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2021, 07:14:45 PM
I don't think the Soviets are going to invade Afghanistan again.

Looks like your brain damage is flaring up again.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 20, 2021, 07:36:31 PM
Why does the funneling need to be covert?

So the Ukrainians don't complain to us when we import a bunch of Afghanis to operate all the weapons we will be supplying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017