And we're back!

Main Menu

Become Marine Translator, See the World

Started by citizen k, July 22, 2009, 11:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2009, 02:06:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2009, 01:10:38 AM
Better a translator that can't do his job properly than one that fucks guys.  :cool:

Heh.  You know if you think about it, the army translaters could take this job, get paid a very large amount of cash, and still be serving their country.

No kidding. If you're stuck as a translator in Afghanistan, why not let the Marines in on your secret life, apply to this company, and go from $25k to $210k--doing the same job without the military BS? Maybe that is why it seems like everyone getting booted out for DADT is a translator.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 08:29:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 23, 2009, 06:42:36 AM
US military recruiters are evil. Film at 10.

Read much?
:unsure:
Why?
Has there been a big thing in the American papers about this or something?
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on July 23, 2009, 11:26:52 AM

Read much?
Why?

No I was just wondering how you managed to conclude that these were military recruiters, when the article made it rather clear they were a private company.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:39:09 AMOf course not.  Smart people who are capable of learning new languages don't sign up for the Army.
I fuzzily remember a thread on the old Languish where someone (Berkut?) claimed that US servicemen are of above average intelligence. My memory may be wrong though.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:39:09 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 23, 2009, 03:49:51 AM
The US has been in Afghanistan and Iraq for many years. Surely they have trained a lot of 21 yo fit translators?
Of course not.  Smart people who are capable of learning new languages don't sign up for the Army.  And why would real translators want to join the Army anyways?

I'm smart, I speak 3 and 1/2 languages, and I joined the Army.

Stop stereotyping.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Berkut

Quote from: Zanza on July 23, 2009, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:39:09 AMOf course not.  Smart people who are capable of learning new languages don't sign up for the Army.
I fuzzily remember a thread on the old Languish where someone (Berkut?) claimed that US servicemen are of above average intelligence. My memory may be wrong though.

No, I simply said that they were not a bunch of morons as Marty asserts regularly.

I think the DoD reports state that their enlisted recruits tend to be at or slightly above national averages for intelligence - which makes sense since they weed out those who cannot pass an ASVAB test and qualify in the higher classifications.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Dod report:

The DoD categorizes recruits using five levels Leve 1 being the high end, level 5 the low end.

They do not take anyone from level V, and are only allowed to take 4% of their recruits from those in level IV, but actually only take around 1%.

According to their stats, 39% of their recruits are Level 1 & Level 2, compared to 35% of the general population. 60% of their recruits are Level 3, compared to 34% of the population, and 1% is Level 4, compared to 21% in the general population. They have no Level 5s, compared to the general population being 10%.

So basically all enlisted soldiers are in the top 70% of the general population.

0 rows returned

Zanza

So if they have enough Level 1 and 2 people, it's just a failure of their skills management, namely not educating enough of their soldiers in important foreign languages?

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 11:43:07 AM

Read much?
Why?

No I was just wondering how you managed to conclude that these were military recruiters, when the article made it rather clear they were a private company.
Recruiting for the US military.....
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on July 23, 2009, 01:45:09 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 11:43:07 AM

Read much?
Why?

Recruiting for the US military.....

So it is well known that companies that recruit people to work for the US military are evil?

I assume that includes the hundreds of companies that provide services for the US military, like running the cafeteria or PX?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 23, 2009, 11:59:35 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:39:09 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 23, 2009, 03:49:51 AM
The US has been in Afghanistan and Iraq for many years. Surely they have trained a lot of 21 yo fit translators?
Of course not.  Smart people who are capable of learning new languages don't sign up for the Army.  And why would real translators want to join the Army anyways?

I'm smart, I speak 3 and 1/2 languages, and I joined the Army.

Stop stereotyping.

What half language do you speak?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 01:50:56 PM
So it is well known that companies that recruit people to work for the US military are evil?

I assume that includes the hundreds of companies that provide services for the US military, like running the cafeteria or PX?
I don't know. How do they recruit people?
Do they follow this spleel of insisting you're going nowhere near action then going back on it or are they completely up front?
My comment came about because recruiters for actual US military positions are known to have a reputation for such stuff as well.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2009, 04:53:40 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 23, 2009, 03:18:37 PM
spleel
6 million dead Jews = no bagels, bad Yiddish.  :(

:lol: 
At least he's trying;  don't be such a pootz.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on July 23, 2009, 01:25:40 PM
So if they have enough Level 1 and 2 people, it's just a failure of their skills management, namely not educating enough of their soldiers in important foreign languages?

I doubt it makes that much sense to bring in a bunch of 18 year olds with various levels of enthusiasm, teach them to be soldiers, and then teach them a foriegn language. By the time they are done learning their service period will be half over.

It is probably more cost effective to just shell out big bucks for people that already know the language.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014