And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2021, 09:25:21 PM
How easy to steal?

As easy as any bike, depending on the lock. Electric bikes typically get stolen for their batteries, so get one with a removable battery and never leave it attached when parked.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2021, 06:50:03 PM
I see it at least with American YIMBYs with, for example, the huge opposition that any density at all seems to provoke even though there is clearly enough demand for it.

Where, what demand?

I don't know how we could change our some of our NA cities. Some of our streets before they were built in this configuration, there was nothing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 12, 2021, 12:05:42 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2021, 09:25:21 PM
How easy to steal?

Basically as easy as a bike. I have a pretty hefty fuck-off lock, but my main strategy is to not leave it unattended in insecure places. Vancouver has a lot of bike theft, so I'm pretty paranoid. I had someone come into my back yard and steal two (luckily quite cheap) bikes out of our bike shed (that I'd forgotten to lock) five-six years ago. And since e-bikes are expensive, they're attractive targets... though I guess they're not that much use without an appropriate recharger, so I don't know how that figures into the theft rates.

But yeah, strategizing about how safe it is to leave them at your destination is something that probably should figure into your feasibility analysis.

:yes:

Also the best strategy is to regularly use a bike that isn't worth much, when in an urban/built up area.

And with any bike make sure you lock it close to one or more obviously more expensive/desirable bikes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2021, 07:03:46 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 11, 2021, 06:59:49 PMYes, of course, but that's not something that can happen quickly.  We need a much shorter term solution to global warming; something that is going to have to account for the urban fabric as it exists today.  In much of North America that will have to be electric vehicles.
Sure but I think that's a wider piece around how we want our cities to be and what makes them liveable etc. And obviouslyvastly improved public transport should be part of it too.

I'm working on it; I'm working on it, honestly.  :rolleyes: .

;)

QuoteWhat are YIMBYs?
Yes in my back yard. People who are generally pro-development and pro-density.

Obrigado; Like GF I haven't encountered this, but I don't live in a city.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2021, 08:46:22 AM
Also the best strategy is to regularly use a bike that isn't worth much, when in an urban/built up area.

Doesn't work with e-bikes. And, at least in my city, cheap shitty bikes get stolen too.

QuoteAnd with any bike make sure you lock it close to one or more obviously more expensive/desirable bikes.

Depends on the thieves' MO. Easy to steal and cheap may be more attractive than hard work and expensive, depending on the situation.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 12, 2021, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2021, 08:46:22 AM

Doesn't work with e-bikes. And, at least in my city, cheap shitty bikes get stolen too.

QuoteAnd with any bike make sure you lock it close to one or more obviously more expensive/desirable bikes.

Depends on the thieves' MO. Easy to steal and cheap may be more attractive than hard work and expensive, depending on the situation.

All bikes can get stolen, just a matter of deterring people who steal to order, I know roadies who've lost several quality bikes to thieves.

And yes even cheap bikes get stolen/vandalised when left out in a city; a homeless friend of mine had his old one reduced to scrap over a series on incidents in London.

Barrister

Just be sure to record your bike's serial #, and to report it as stolen to your local police right away.

Police actually have an ok rate of returning stolen bikes - but only as long as then know whose bike it is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Or just get it insured. With an expensive bike it might be worthwhile.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on November 11, 2021, 11:27:26 PM
One thing that keeps me from thinking about biking is the danger factor, it just seems so dangerous to me, at least on American streets.  However, I was curious whether statistics bear that out, so I googled around a little bit.  I came across a site of someone claiming that biking wasn't that dangerous at all, but later it turned out the author of that site was killed in a biking accident.  :hmm:

Before dedicated bike lanes here, I would not have considered it. 

Threviel

I've ordered an MG ZS EV with all bells and whistles for 420.000 SEK (42.000 € or so). It will be delivered Q2 next year so the report will have to wait a while.

I plan on putting some kind of 7ish kW charger on the side of my garage and to charge it every night. i'll get an hourly electrical service and optimise my charge time for when it's cheapest.

This will mean that I'll have to move a stone wall and increase the size of my driveway, I'll do it in such a way that I can have the motorhome also on the same side of the garage.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 12, 2021, 12:29:25 PM
If they're priced as everything else in BC, they must be able to pay a couple of months rent with that sale! ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Nearly bought an electric bike a couple of days ago, but since it's near the depths of Winter now, have put it off till late March early April.   :bowler:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Threviel on November 24, 2021, 11:22:51 AM
I've ordered an MG ZS EV with all bells and whistles for 420.000 SEK (42.000 € or so). It will be delivered Q2 next year so the report will have to wait a while.

I plan on putting some kind of 7ish kW charger on the side of my garage and to charge it every night. i'll get an hourly electrical service and optimise my charge time for when it's cheapest.

This will mean that I'll have to move a stone wall and increase the size of my driveway, I'll do it in such a way that I can have the motorhome also on the same side of the garage.

:cheers:

We have ordered the Hyndai - IONIQ 5, also scheduled to arrive around Q2.

Grey Fox

Did you try out the Bolt EUV?

I'll test drive the Ford Escape PHEV and Kia Niro PHEV. I'd like to try Toyota RAV4 Prime PHEV but those are rare and expensive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi