News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on January 12, 2023, 08:46:39 AM
Quote from: Threviel on January 12, 2023, 01:22:23 AMInteresting car market, the cheapest used electrical car with some range and size that I can find around here is about 350.000 SEK, about 27.000£.

If I don't drive a lot there are a lot of cheaper (lifetime cheaper I mean, not only buy) combustion engine cars to buy. I bought my last car for 100.000 SEK for example. Another 250k buys me a lot of gas and service.
Ouch. Thats painful.
With leafs I see quite a few at sub 10k .

Lately the used car market is indeed pretty hot. Everything is double what it was.  This goes for ICE as well.
My dad had to buy a new car last year when his not very old Ford SUV started showing signs a full breakdown was imminent. He ended up paying the same as he had for the Ford despite the new one being a step down- a much more reliable brand and more fitting for their current needs however.
TBH though I don't really see this going down much, and it works both ways, I should get more for my perfectly fine though too small old car in part-ex.

IIRC the older Leafs (Leaves?) have a really small range.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2023, 12:37:56 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2023, 12:35:18 PMI think the used car market is bound to go down soon with the rest of the economy, but I guess EVs will be affected the least.

You guys really convinced me not to get a hybrid so our next car is probably going to be another petrol one. We need all our cash money for buying a 100 years old run down terraced house somewhere in far edge of everything.

Why would you buy an IC car?  Do you like the increased costs of ownership  :P

So we're looking at getting a truck as the towing situation for our camper trailer is really not ideal.  Plus I miss having a truck.

There's no such thing as a used electric truck, so I go to compare new trucks.  The only ones available so far are the F-150 Lightning and the Rivian.

In order to compare apples to apples I tried pricing out a regular F-150 to a Lightning.  You can get a regular one for about $60k with light options.  The Lightning comes out to $100k.  So $40k difference.

What are you going to spend on fuel - $100/week?  Let's say $150.  So that's $7800/year.  That's going to take a bit over 5 years to make up the price difference.  And that's assuming the electric truck costs nothing to keep charged.

So this might only work for trucks right now, but there's still definitely an argument to be made for IC vehicles.

And that's before you start worrying about range concerns.  Everything I've read says towing drastically reduces the range on an electric vehicle.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I can understand the issue with trucks, but I don't understand why Tamas wants to buy an IC car.

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 12, 2023, 12:40:00 PM
QuoteWhat kind do you have?

I used up my mid-life crisis benefit and got a Rivian R1T.
Sweet.  I keep eyeing the BMW i3... :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

I almost ordered a Mercedes EQE as my next car, but when I eventually had convinced myself, it was no longer available and I ordered another plugin hybrid instead.

Threviel

Yeah, if a good size and range electric costs the same as a comparable IC it would be daft to buy the IC.

Tonitrus

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2023, 01:00:13 PMI can understand the issue with trucks, but I don't understand why Tamas wants to buy an IC car.

If I had to buy right now I would have to be very price conscious. We want as big a deposit as we can when we finally buy a property, and you can get a pretty decent - if old - petrol car much cheaper than the limited stock of EVs even used ones.

In addition, where we live now, the closest opportunity to charge one is half a mile away, around 3 spots at a supermarket parking lot.

crazy canuck

Maybe wait until you have your own place and can install a charging station?

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2023, 05:11:42 PMMaybe wait until you have your own place and can install a charging station?

Sure. :) I am not planning a car purchase, was just speculating. :) the current one works fine and I love it, but very old (2006 Avensis) with punitive taxes and high fuel cost, so practically, one major issue away from being more economical to be replaced.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2023, 05:23:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2023, 05:11:42 PMMaybe wait until you have your own place and can install a charging station?

Sure. :) I am not planning a car purchase, was just speculating. :) the current one works fine and I love it, but very old (2006 Avensis) with punitive taxes and high fuel cost, so practically, one major issue away from being more economical to be replaced.

Yeah, our 2008 Honda Odyssey van is having increasing (and expensive) issues.  I'd prefer to NOT buy a newer vehicle right now, but I think we're being forced into it.

Ideally once we get the truck, then in a few years we could look into replacing our "newer" 2011 RAV4 with a commuter-style EV.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I wanted to buy an EV for my next car but I don't think my current one will make it.

I'd like to get a new design Hyundai Santa Cruz.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Decided I wanted to try to pick up a Mustang Mach E.  Right now there are literally only 6 in all of Louisville and I looked at every single one of them today.  Ended up negotiating over one that's been sitting at a Nissan dealership for some reason... dunno why because it's price seemed reasonable and I could find nothing wrong with it.  Didn't come to an agreement as The Colonel is a tough negotiator, but might try again next week.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2023, 06:37:50 PMDecided I wanted to try to pick up a Mustang Mach E.

The Mach E looks like a regular Mustang trying to have a baby.  :yuk:

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 25, 2023, 06:40:59 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2023, 06:37:50 PMDecided I wanted to try to pick up a Mustang Mach E.

The Mach E looks like a regular Mustang trying to have a baby.  :yuk:
I love the look, and I absolutely loved the interior and the ride.  Raging boner material.