News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What allies are supposed to do

Started by Zoupa, October 22, 2021, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

I don't think my feelings have ever been hurt by discussing anything online  :huh:

Posting on an internet forum would be a weird past-time if it did.

Writing responses as if you're in the person's head is strange. Alliances don't last forever; IMO the last 20 years have shown NATO's limitations, plus you're the ones always harping on the Pacific the Pacific the Pacific. Focus on that then *shrug*

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zoupa on October 24, 2021, 05:42:29 PM
This thread really reinforces NATO's obsolescence and the urgent need for European Defense. I guess Macron read the tea leaves earlier than I did.

European Defense is a great idea, if only you could get the Europeans to go for it.

The French idea is is a European system led by France; the UK idea is a European system where British influence is decisive; the small countries want a committee system; Italy wants to free ride; and the German idea is a European system led by Russia.

Hard to reconcile.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

:lol:

I'm all for handing European defense completely over to the Yuros.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2021, 08:19:52 PM

I think that would go a long way towards truly uniting Europe, as part of Russia.

Razgovory

I had no idea that the purpose of NATO was to sell submarines.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Handing it over? I wasn't aware the EU had delegated that task to the USA. :unsure:

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2021, 08:52:43 PM
I think that would go a long way towards truly uniting Europe, as part of Russia.

A bit dramatic are we. It's been years and Russia hasn't even been able to hold eastern Ukraine. Somehow I think the EU can manage.

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2021, 05:27:55 AM

Australia is in NATO? :unsure:

mongers

Another classic Languish 'discussion'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

You have to hand it to Zoupa. He takes every French stereotype around international diplomacy and relationships and just cranks it right up to 11.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2021, 11:24:30 AM
Wait, we are allied with France?  I didn't think France had allies, only interests.

That's the US ;)  per Bill Clinton, during the Yougoslavia crisis, the 1st one.

That's why Switzerland cancelled its Rafale orders in favor of F-35 after a visit by Biden and some of his officials last summer.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2021, 05:07:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 23, 2021, 02:17:15 PM
It'll be pretty hilarious if it turns out it in fact was France in the end.

I'd certainly put France as my #2 suspect.  Toebbe doesn't sound like the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so may have thought France wouldn't turn him in.  Israel remains my #1, though.
they said the letters were written in foreing language, or bad english (can't remember which).  Isrealis speak perfect English.  Most French do not. ;) :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on October 25, 2021, 07:01:03 AM

Handing it over? I wasn't aware the EU had delegated that task to the USA. :unsure:
C'mon.  Let's be serious here.  In the face of China and Russia, we all depend on the US firepower.  Having a bunch of F-16s and F-35 and all the assortment of US air power at the ready in Germany is detterent enough for Russia.

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2021, 08:52:43 PM

A bit dramatic are we. It's been years and Russia hasn't even been able to hold eastern Ukraine. Somehow I think the EU can manage.[/quote]
Ukraine is united against Russia, with help from NATO, in the form of military equipment and training.

Europe would be divided.  The British would attack the French while the French invade Spain who would march on Catalonia while Italy is trying to regain a foothold in the Balkans. :P

No, seriously, I don't see Europe, as fragmented as it is, posing any kind of challenge to a serious military attack of any kind.

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2021, 05:27:55 AM

Australia is in NATO? :unsure:
[/quote]
it's a partner, but not a member-nation.
https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_48899.htm

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 25, 2021, 10:48:32 AM
That's why Switzerland cancelled its Rafale orders in favor of F-35 after a visit by Biden and some of his officials last summer.

Switzerland had no order in for Rafale fighters.  Rafale was just one of the contenders.  French anger, such as it was, was because they thought Switzerland had made up their minds ahead of time, and the Rafale negotiations were thus a sham.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Switzerland shouldn't be buying either of them anyway. The whole thing is ridiculous.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on October 25, 2021, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2021, 05:07:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 23, 2021, 02:17:15 PM
It'll be pretty hilarious if it turns out it in fact was France in the end.

I'd certainly put France as my #2 suspect.  Toebbe doesn't sound like the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so may have thought France wouldn't turn him in.  Israel remains my #1, though.
they said the letters were written in foreing language, or bad english (can't remember which).  Isrealis speak perfect English.  Most French do not. ;) :P

Working with an Israeli company as a customer right now. I contest this statement :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.