The Next Significant Variant - Place of Origin?

Started by mongers, October 21, 2021, 07:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Political/Medical/Cultural System Will Create the next Variant?  

Bolsonaro's Brazil
2 (15.4%)
Xi's China
0 (0%)
Modi's India
2 (15.4%)
Putin's Russia
2 (15.4%)
Erdogan's Turkey
0 (0%)
Johnson's UK
3 (23.1%)
Biden/Trump's USA
3 (23.1%)
Another Country
0 (0%)
Space Aliens will be the source (Jaron Option)
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

mongers

Rather than ask which country will see the emergence of the next Corona-virus variant of significant concern, I'm asking which political/medical and cultural system combined with it's current leadership will oversee it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Probably India in actuality but discovered in Britain.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2021, 07:00:54 AM
Rather than ask which country will see the emergence of the next Corona-virus variant of significant concern, I'm asking which political/medical and cultural system combined with it's current leadership will oversee it.
Brazil already had a variant and I figure the virus has burnt through the country already.  I'm betting on Russia.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

India's probably the most likely choice, but given the situation in several other countries or regions (such as central/eastern Europe) it's not that much more likely a choice than others.

It could be Iran, for example.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

I'm pinning a lot of hope on the expert (I can't remember what they were a professor in) who said they didn't think there was much else covid could do in terms of variants after delta (at least not that can outcompete delta).

The other risk area is the bits of the world being left unvaccinated because the rich world are not meeting our commitments <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Papers here speaking of a Delta variant AY.4.2 that's spreading fast in the UK and has spread to other countries. It may get upgraded to its own letter.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2021, 01:42:09 AM
Papers here speaking of a Delta variant AY.4.2 that's spreading fast in the UK and has spread to other countries. It may get upgraded to its own letter.

We have been assured it's no biggie.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2021, 01:42:09 AM

This Doc on twitter has been pretty alarmist since the beginning of the pandemic and unfortunately mostly right, and he's ringing the bell on this one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1451460633191460864
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-58973788
QuoteBAD SIGN—Something really bad happening in UK —especially notable in Wales — where hospitalization for #COVID19 resurging—but for first time since vaccine mass rollout—deaths newly spiking now as well Warning sign. Possibly new Delta sub variant. Watching
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Oh dear, it looks like we may have a winner in the new one from South Africa.  :(

Anyone vote for that?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"