News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Halloween Movie List

Started by Savonarola, October 01, 2021, 01:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Halloween Kills is in cinemas as of now so I will try to catch it despite the not so good reviews (meaningless and unimaginative gore).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on October 25, 2021, 02:27:08 PM

In the original mummy; the mummy is named Imhotep.  The author of "Bubba Ho-Tep" took its name from that.  In the other films the mummy is Kharis (or Klaris in the Abbot and Costello film.)  In The Mummy's Tomb and The Mummy's Ghost the mummy is brought to America and terrorizes Massachusetts.  In The Mummy's Ghost he's chased down by a group of concerned citizens and burned to death (or is he?)  Twenty five years later he awakens in a bayou where everyone speaks French (or at least with a French accent.)  That struck me as a fate worse than undeath for Tyr.   ;)

:lol:

I guess they did not go for real(istic) cajun accents à la Southern Comfort?  :P [spoiler]even Brion James made an effort[/spoiler]

The Brain

Southern Comfort was so great. At least that's the way I remember it from TV all those years ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 26, 2021, 06:33:53 AM
:lol:

I guess they did not go for real(istic) cajun accents à la Southern Comfort?  :P [spoiler]even Brion James made an effort[/spoiler]

They didn't come up with a reason that the mummy had been moved from Massachusetts to Louisiana; authenticity wasn't something they were going for.

They do sound vaguely French-ish (most of the "Cajuns" were foreign, though not necessarily from French speaking countries.)  There were actually some scenes where the actors do speak a bit of (un-subtitled) French (same with Abbot and Costello Meet the Mummy :o); but at the time almost every educated person would have spoken some French.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

We got only two Trick-or-treaters last night.  I even had to prod them to say "Trick or Treat" (they were teenagers.)  We had gotten about six last year, but it rained and the Covid restrictions were (sort-of) being enforced (by Florida standards).  I was expecting a lot more this year.

Did anyone carve a pumpkin?  Here it's so warm and humid that unless you make it Halloween Day, it will start to rot.  People have to put their pumpkins in the refrigerator until the evening; so we don't bother.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on November 01, 2021, 01:48:20 PM
We got only two Trick-or-treaters last night.  I even had to prod them to say "Trick or Treat" (they were teenagers.)  We had gotten about six last year, but it rained and the Covid restrictions were (sort-of) being enforced (by Florida standards).  I was expecting a lot more this year.

Did anyone carve a pumpkin?  Here it's so warm and humid that unless you make it Halloween Day, it will start to rot.  People have to put their pumpkins in the refrigerator until the evening; so we don't bother.

We carved several pumpkins.  We did them almost one week before but I think it was too early - they were looking kind of soft last night.

We have the opposite problems - the freeze-thaw cycles around this time of year makes them go all soft if you leave them outside.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Ended up re-watching Carpenter's Christine at a cinema and Hugh Grant's masterpiece, the Lair of the White Worm. :)

Not so a masterpiece for Ken Russell though I suppose.  :hmm: His style is pretty recognizable there though.

garbon

We watched Jaws.

No pumpkin carving this year as they were gone from supermarkets by the time I wanted to buy one (we also suffer from a fair bit of humidity).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Savonarola on November 01, 2021, 01:48:20 PM

I got about 80 trick or treaters between 5 to 7 pm. I ran out of Candy at that time. Got maybe 20 more trick or treaters shooting their shot until 9pm. It rained all night.

Next year I'll buy more candy.

I had a pumpkin, it wasn't carved.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

I got about 10 trick or treaters.
I now have about 40 small bags of chips and 40 small chocolate bars.

I watched Train to Busan which was very good.
Watched the Rob Zombie Halloween remake which wasn't so good; or even necessary.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

In Kent. Got three gangs of kids and parents - did pumpkin carving. Got trick or treat stuff from an old school sweetshop. All very wholesome :)
Let's bomb Russia!