Climate Change - The Languish 'Community' Responses?

Started by mongers, July 24, 2021, 07:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 10, 2021, 08:16:20 PM
Usually "retired" dairy cows are turned into dog and cat food, it's the male caves that become human food (from the diary side anyway). Although there's a relatively new trend of dry aging dairy cows for fancy meat.

*edit* in Ontario anyway
retired dairy cows can be turned into ground beef, or very slim steak cuts for human production.  But that's the stuff you buy at a grocery store or a butcher, not where distributors and restaurants will buy their meet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 10, 2021, 06:20:48 PM
I eat Canadian beef and maybe occasional Australian beef I suppose. So no worries about the Aamazon on my account. Still responsible for the cow farts, of course. I guess the same goes for dairy.
there are ways to attenuate the impact for dairy farms, but our governments don't seem to have invested much into this.

Basically, you can use the methane to produce electricity for a small community around the farm.  Also, dejections are stocked in concrete structures and methane is only released when they move it around.  If they plow quickly after spreading the shit, most of the nutrients are absorbed by the ground.

But just like pigs, when you have so much animals in one small sector, there's just too much of the stuff, and that's where we have problems.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on November 11, 2021, 03:37:48 PM
Basically, you can use the methane to produce electricity for a small community around the farm.

How does this work?  Do you shove a tube up their ass?

Admiral Yi

Also makes me wonder how much human farting contributes to climate change.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?