News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Aukus

Started by Threviel, September 16, 2021, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

What happened to Cyberia btw?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the designs will be based on Astutes rather than the Virginias? The Astutes seem cheaper to build and man and would presumably be the better choice for a smaller navy?

Duque de Bragança

Last arms deal upset of this magnitude I remember of, was the helicopter deal with Poland, cancelled when the potato twin party and its allies assumed power, and went for an "Atlantist" solution.

PS: quite a hit for the small normand city of Cherbourg (30,000 people).
According to Le Monde, New Zealand, ally of Australia already said that nuclear submarines won't be allowed to visit its ports or even NZ waters. A policy decision dating from 1985.

Grey Fox

Duque, none of these Rest of the World people will know who you mean by Potato Twin.

Good one, tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Who on languish doesn't know who the potato twins were?

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 16, 2021, 08:17:09 AM
Duque, none of these Rest of the World people will know who you mean by Potato Twin.

Good one, tho.

It's easier to understand than your typical Yi-ism.

Barrister

So the obvious question from this part of the world is why wasn't Canada involved.  I mean - we're a pacific nation, we have conflicts with China, we have long-standing ties to all three countries...

Three options come to mind:

1. This is largely about nuclear subs.  Canada does not have nuclear subs, and no plans to build new subs.
2. We have an election going on, so they don't want to interfere
3. They just don't trust us. :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

We have 2 submarines.

We're the surface navy partner if anything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 16, 2021, 07:49:45 AM
Last arms deal upset of this magnitude I remember of, was the helicopter deal with Poland, cancelled when the potato twin party and its allies assumed power, and went for an "Atlantist" solution.

PS: quite a hit for the small normand city of Cherbourg (30,000 people).
According to Le Monde, New Zealand, ally of Australia already said that nuclear submarines won't be allowed to visit its ports or even NZ waters. A policy decision dating from 1985.

FWIW I don't think they plan to invade NZ.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2021, 10:07:09 AMSo the obvious question from this part of the world is why wasn't Canada involved.  I mean - we're a pacific nation, we have conflicts with China, we have long-standing ties to all three countries...

1. This is largely about nuclear subs.  Canada does not have nuclear subs, and no plans to build new subs.
My guess is number 2. From a UK perspective I'm not sure it would be considered acceptable for a government to agree to or announce something like this during an election campaign - generally major decisions on policy have to be postponed until a new government has formed but I don't know if there's the same tradition in Canada.

It has been striking over the last year that Australia, Canada and the UK have issued so many joint statements on issues around China (but also Belarus, Armenia etc) - so I think they're clearly aligned which was particularly noteworthy while Trump was still in office. I think there is an emerging difference with New Zealand - and obviously they don't let nuclear subs in their waters. But I wouldn't be surprised if Canada joined that agreement.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2021, 10:07:09 AM
So the obvious question from this part of the world is why wasn't Canada involved.  I mean - we're a pacific nation, we have conflicts with China, we have long-standing ties to all three countries...

4. They forgot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 16, 2021, 10:28:23 AM
We have 2 submarines.

We're the surface navy partner if anything.

But not nuclear submarines.

In one way this can just be seen as a transfer of nuclear sub tech from US/UK to Aus.  Canada has nothing to contribute in such a transaction.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.