News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Aukus

Started by Threviel, September 16, 2021, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2023, 01:13:12 PMThe latest seems to be recruiting US and French pilots to help train the Peoples' Liberation Army Navy Air Force in carrier operations.

I'll admit being somewhat alarmed and... uhm... disappointed... in this development.

Can't something be done?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Jacob on March 10, 2023, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2023, 01:13:12 PMThe latest seems to be recruiting US and French pilots to help train the Peoples' Liberation Army Navy Air Force in carrier operations.

I'll admit being somewhat alarmed and... uhm... disappointed... in this development.

Can't something be done?

what's the punishment for treason?

Barrister

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 10, 2023, 03:01:17 PM

Can't something be done?

There's no state of war between China and US/France.  How is this any different from going to China to teach English (or French)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2023, 03:05:03 PM

Can't something be done?

There's no state of war between China and US/France.  How is this any different from going to China to teach English (or French)?

I suppose there may be a difference if the technical training discloses information the retired folks are not permitted to disclose.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2023, 03:05:03 PMThere's no state of war between China and US/France.  How is this any different from going to China to teach English (or French)?

In the eventuality of conflict between China and the US/France, the PLA's ability to conduct successful carrier operations is likely more harmful than a slightly improved level of English (or French) proficiency in the broad Chinese population.

Pretty obvious, I'd think.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2023, 03:05:03 PM

Can't something be done?

People with a degree, a pulse, and willingness to spend a year or two working for sub minimum wage for the chance to live somewhere exotic are 2 a penny.
Elite fighter pilots that have had a huge amount of government training investment to develop skills in how to kill foreigners... Pretty radically different.
Or at least it should be.
Since it's happening I suppose the government forgot to put obvious stuff in the contracts?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 10, 2023, 03:23:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2023, 03:05:03 PMThere's no state of war between China and US/France.  How is this any different from going to China to teach English (or French)?

In the eventuality of conflict between China and the US/France, the PLA's ability to conduct successful carrier operations is likely more harmful than a slightly improved level of English (or French) proficiency in the broad Chinese population.  Crazy Ivan specified treason - which might work if a war was going on, but there isn't.

Pretty obvious, I'd think.

That of course is very true, so I think you perhaps misunderstand where I was coming from.

I don't like these retired pilots going over to train PLA pilots.  But legally I'm not sure what can be done about it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I bet when you are in the navy they make you sign documents that you won't reveal certain things to foreign powers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2023, 05:14:08 PMThat of course is very true, so I think you perhaps misunderstand where I was coming from.

I don't like these retired pilots going over to train PLA pilots.  But legally I'm not sure what can be done about it.

Last year the US took action to damage the Chinese chip manufacturing industry. The action included some sort of legislation making it extremely unattractive (and, I believe, some sort of offense) for American citizens and green card holders to work in the Chinese chip industry. As I understand it, a significant number of Chinese-American scientists and executives quite the industry basically overnight as a result.

I'm not sure why something similar couldn't be done for fighter pilots and other military experts.

grumbler

Several of these pilots have in fact been arrested.  Secrecy commitments never lapse
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2023, 11:33:16 PMSeveral of these pilots have in fact been arrested.  Secrecy commitments never lapse

That sounds pretty reasonable. Do you have any links?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 11, 2023, 12:00:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2023, 11:33:16 PMSeveral of these pilots have in fact been arrested.  Secrecy commitments never lapse

That sounds pretty reasonable. Do you have any links?
I said "several" but the stories I read probably all referred to the one guy.  Here's Al Jazeera's version

QuoteArrested in Australia in October, Daniel Duggan, 54, is accused of money laundering and conspiracy to export defence services to China by instructing Chinese military pilots in how to land on aircraft carriers, according to a 2017 indictment unsealed by a US court in December.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

The Larch

"Conspiracy to export defence services" sounds like a very fancy accusation.

The Minsky Moment

The US has a detailed arms export control regime.  It includes controls on providing defense services, which in turn includes things like military training of foreign forces.  A US person or company wishing to offer such services must apply for a receive a license from the US government.  Not surprisingly, the policy of the US government is not to approve such licenses for providing services to the PRC.

According to the allegations, Duggan didn't apply for a license.  He was warned by the State Department not to supply services without a license.  He ignored the warning.

Deliberate violations of the arms export control regime can be punished by criminal penalties.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson