Main Menu

Aukus

Started by Threviel, September 16, 2021, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2021, 10:16:22 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 26, 2021, 10:02:56 PM
French food is overrated.

I mean it is pretty crazy in its variety. I am sure some of it is. There are hundreds of cheeses alone.

Which might explain the difficult French politics, "...how can anyone govern a nation that has two hundred and forty-six different kinds of cheese?" as someone or other said  :frog:

The Brain

No cheese deserves to be alone. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2021, 01:05:22 AM
Which might explain the difficult French politics, "...how can anyone govern a nation that has two hundred and forty-six different kinds of cheese?" as someone or other said  :frog:

I mean you could make the same argument for Germany with bread (600+ types) and beer (1500+ breweries). :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Germany though is neither federal, German, nor a republic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2021, 02:26:31 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2021, 01:05:22 AM

I mean you could make the same argument for Germany with bread (600+ types) and beer (1500+ breweries). :P

Spain has 4000+ winemakers.  :P

Couldn't find a census of cured meats, sadly. I suspect the fuet/longaniza divide is responsible alone for Catalan separatism.

Syt

According to this, Germany also has over 1500 types of sausage: https://charcuteria.de/wurstsorten/

There must be some algorithm to match each brewery to each sausage ...

:hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

I'm drawing a weird blank, but besides wine and cheese the only French cuisine I can think of is souffle and little drunk birds.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2021, 06:15:32 AM
I'm drawing a weird blank, but besides wine and cheese the only French cuisine I can think of is souffle and little drunk birds.

:blink:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

I know I should have more but I can't recall lol. Maybe because it's early here
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2021, 08:14:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 26, 2021, 04:53:34 PM
about the actual reason Australia wants a bunch of nuclear submarines in the first place.

they should have said so in the first place, if that's what they wanted.

So?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I've worked for a French company and I work for a company in defence procurement that has plants & offices in France.

I would have tried to get out too if I was Australia.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on September 27, 2021, 08:15:47 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2021, 08:14:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 26, 2021, 04:53:34 PM
about the actual reason Australia wants a bunch of nuclear submarines in the first place.

they should have said so in the first place, if that's what they wanted.

So?

Vipers response really illustrates that Australia dodged a bullet, since it seems to mirror the overall feelings from French authorities and diplomats.

His response to asking about the actual needs of Australia is simply that they made an agreement, and tough shit if anything changes, give me my money. Oh, and btw, it is twice as much money as we said earlier.

Also, if things change, we don't care. If WE change the terms, like, I don't know, doubling the cost and refusing to honor our agreement to let Australia do the bulk of the work....tough shit. Give us our money.

Still has not addressed, or even acknowledged, that there is an actual security concern driving this entire thing. Doesn't matter to them, they don't actually care about the security situation. Give us our money.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2021, 08:32:00 PM
I can only assume you've never met an Australian.

i have relatives in Australia but none of are close to the stereotype.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson