News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on January 16, 2012, 10:45:34 PM
The strange thing about the Umar story is that it fits Islamic attitudes to learning after "The Incoherence of the Philosophers" better than it does the attitude of conquest beduin. The fact here was that the Library ceased to exist as part of the conquest.
But that's like blaming the Bishop of Rome for the decline of the city, rather than the numerous raids and attacks in the previous centuries.  It seems far more likely that the Arabs presided over the death of the library rather than that they destroyed it.  The first stories are recorded in the 12th century.  That's probably why it reflects the attitudes of that period, not the period the story alleges to narrate.

As I say my understanding is that in Western scholarship this is viewed as a myth (certainly the books I've read that cover the early Caliphate dismiss the story).  Though it's still really interesting, especially what Bernard Lewis tries to address, which is why it's a myth, why it emerged when and where it did.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

To get some traction out of this thread.

Who founded the colonies of New Amsterdam & New Sweden?

Bonus : He bought the land from the Indians, which tribe & how much?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

$24 worth of Dutch shit.

Can't remember the dudes name, but they named a pipe tobacco after him.

Can't remember the tribe's name at all.  If it was a tribe at all; could have been a chiefdom.

Valmy

I think his name was Peter Minuet or something like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Not an answer to the question, but I just like to point out that Rambo settled in New Sweden in 1640.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 19, 2012, 01:33:03 PM

The Netherlands and Sweden. :smarty:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Drakken

Johann Printz?

The tribe and the sum, I don't have a clue, though.

Razgovory

The only one I can remember is Peter Stuyvesant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Valmy is right, Peter Minuit.

It is believe it's the Lenape tribe but that's hardly official. Yi is right on the number.

Valmy or Yi get to ask a question, who ever does it first.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Cecil

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 19, 2012, 07:33:51 PM
Valmy is right, Peter Minuit.

It is believe it's the Lenape tribe but that's hardly official. Yi is right on the number.

Valmy or Yi get to ask a question, who ever does it first.

He was a great first pick in Colonization. You could just steal the indians shit for free.

PDH

And the funny thing is that it was the indians who made out like bandits: they traded land that wasn't theirs for a priceless array of high-tech goodies.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

A follow up question, just to keep the thread going - the Indians were not the only ones to make what may seem in hindsight to have been a bad bargain for Manhattan ... what did the Dutch in turn horse-trade Manhattan away for to the English, in the treaty that ended the second anglo-Dutch war?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

A small island in the Molluccas called Run?  :hmm:

Maladict