News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2009, 07:35:27 AM
Dude, you asked the question!  I do happen to know the answer...
:lol: Nice.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

There are formal rules and then there are informal rules. I don't know if we have a formal rule about for instance no dates/years but the informal rule is enough.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

At one point there was the something corollary which stated you are not to ask questions such as:

Q.  How many Union soldiers were killed at Gettysburg on July 2nd, 1863?
A. 3,218.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 01:00:36 PM
At one point there was the something corollary which stated you are not to ask questions such as:

Q.  How many Union soldiers were killed at Gettysburg on July 2nd, 1863?
A. 3,218.
We still have that.  The Timmy Rule.

Eddie Teach

Honestly, we just need to have question-givers stop trying to impress everybody with their arcane knowledge.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2009, 03:32:17 PM
Honestly, we just need to have question-givers stop trying to impress everybody with their arcane knowledge.

Yes, when American posters try that it just gets very awkward.

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2009, 03:32:17 PM

:huh:

I thought that was the whole point of a thread listed as "Trivia"...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

Nah, the point of trivia is for the people *answering* to impress people. For that to happen, there needs to be some likelihood that people will actually know the answers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask a question that makes people say, "I didn't know that, that's kinda cool."

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2009, 03:40:41 PM
Nah, the point of trivia is for the people *answering* to impress people. For that to happen, there needs to be some likelihood that people will actually know the answers.

Yes, but the likelihood must be fairly small.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 03:45:06 PM
I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask a question that makes people say, "I didn't know that, that's kinda cool."

It is. The possible outcomes of a non-fail question is 1) a correct answer that is impressive 2) no correct answer but an interesting explanation by the guy who asked 3) neither 1 nor 2 but at least some interesting points were made by the guessers 4) other (boobs etc).

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2009, 04:04:28 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2009, 03:49:38 PM
What was the belgian guy's name?

That's a very vague question.

I assume he is referring to the current question about King Stephen's Flemish mercenary - which I am ashamed to say I do not know the answer to, although I will guess at Eustace de Warrenne.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on September 16, 2009, 04:10:37 PM
I assume he is referring to the current question about King Stephen's Flemish mercenary - which I am ashamed to say I do not know the answer to, although I will guess at Eustace de Warrenne.

I know. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.