News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2009, 12:34:09 PM
Reno shot a kid in Waco just to watch it die.

HINT: the shootout involved a very famous outlaw gang which was almost wiped out in it.

Wasn't that the James gang shootout in, well, wherever?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2009, 12:34:09 PM
Reno shot a kid in Waco just to watch it die.

HINT: the shootout involved a very famous outlaw gang which was almost wiped out in it.

Jesse James and his gang?

The Brain

No, not the James gang. Though the gang in question tried to do something spectacular in order to compete with the James legend. This proved fatal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Since Americans don't know their own "history" I will give it to you Viking. Yes, the gang was the Daltons (though not their cousins) and the shootout took place October 5, 1892 in Coffeyville, Kansas.

The Daltons planned to rob two banks at the same time and rode into town disguised. But a townsperson recognized them and while the Daltons were in the banks making their withdrawals the citizens armed themselves. When the Daltons exited the banks, in the words of horribly overrated movie Boondock Saints "there was a FIREFIGHT!". A ten minute shootout when the Daltons tried to get to their horses which they had been forced by construction to leave in what became known as Death Alley left four citizens dead and three wounded. Four of the Dalton gang were dead and the fifth, Emmett Dalton, was badly wounded and captured. The Daltons had gotten their immortality, but at a price.

The Brain

Quote from: Alexandru H. on September 14, 2009, 01:47:08 PM
I have an easy question for Americans.

Name a famous guy, ex-king of two different Kingdoms, that encountered the Jersey Devil while living in America.

Are you Viking? No? Then STFU.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2009, 02:10:47 PM
Are you Viking? No? Then STFU.

You didn't give him time to answer the first question.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Duude, you mean they were not fictional? WTF? I was taking the piss.

but... a broken clock and all that...

OK, the more USAian history.

The Clovis Culture is a name given to a group of early americans living about 12 to 13 thousand years ago and are sometimes associated with the disappearance of megafauna in north america. They are a source of a lot of "funny" theorizing by both palentologists, anthropologists and historians since they sort of exist in the boundry layer between those fields. Clovis cuture sites have one clear identifying feature. What is that feature and what makes it characteristically clovis.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on September 14, 2009, 03:02:22 PM
Clovis cuture sites have one clear identifying feature. What is that feature and what makes it characteristically clovis.

Is it the "Clovis Points" of the arrowheads (which, IIRC, are generally a bit more rounded than later triangle-shaped ones)?

Viking

Quote from: ulmont on September 14, 2009, 03:10:08 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 14, 2009, 03:02:22 PM
Clovis cuture sites have one clear identifying feature. What is that feature and what makes it characteristically clovis.

Is it the "Clovis Points" of the arrowheads (which, IIRC, are generally a bit more rounded than later triangle-shaped ones)?

The arrow- and spearheads are the identifying feature. However, the rounded shape of the clovis points isn't the main feature. Rounded points are found in layers from other periods in the US and in France (leading to the hypothesis that clovis man sailed across the atlantic). The rounded shape of the arrow- and spearheads is not the feature. The are of course rounded as you say.

I still need to know how the archeologists tell the American Clovis points from the French Soultrean points (and other American points).

Admiral Yi

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2009, 06:22:38 PM
A notch on each side?

Bingo the flute (nice technical term that) was used to wedge the point into a arrow or spear which was then fastened using animal gut which was tied around the fluted area fixing both the head and the body.

Yi is up. 

Admiral Yi

Caliga

In 1902, French author Emile Zola was mysteriously murdered.  Nobody was ever charged with the crime.  What unusual method was used to kill Zola?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points