And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alatriste on July 23, 2009, 07:00:48 AM
Nope, it's far easier than that...  :lol:
Something to do with serfs/peasants knuckling their foreheads?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2009, 07:04:57 AM
That's what I am guessing.  The enlisted salute evolved from knuckling the forehead, while the officer salute evolved from raising the hat.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alatriste

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2009, 07:30:38 AM
That's what I am guessing.  The enlisted salute evolved from knuckling the forehead, while the officer salute evolved from raising the hat.

There is some doubt about who copied who, but generally it's assumed that was the reason. Some say that it was because officers used bicornes, but in several armies both soldiers and officers used them and in those armies soldiers normally used their bicornes left to right, alowing them to 'knuckle their foreheads', officers back to front or 'twisted'.

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on July 23, 2009, 07:41:18 AM
There is some doubt about who copied who, but generally it's assumed that was the reason. Some say that it was because officers used bicornes, but in several armies both soldiers and officers used them and in those armies soldiers normally used their bicornes left to right, alowing them to 'knuckle their foreheads', officers back to front or 'twisted'.
Exactly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

I read somewhere (no idea of the accuracy) that the officer salute evolved from the act of lifting one's helmet visor.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2009, 08:03:23 AM

I read somewhere (no idea of the accuracy) that the officer salute evolved from the act of lifting one's helmet visor.

Yeah thats what I read as well: the knights raised the visor to honor the enemy/fellow knight by showing their identity or something.

Viking

Wiki suggests that Roman Legionaries shaded their eyes when faced with the luminence which was their commander as a means of homage.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Tonitrus

This is the version we were taught in basic training.

Jaron

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 23, 2009, 09:55:09 PM

They lied to you then.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jaron on July 23, 2009, 09:57:46 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 23, 2009, 09:55:09 PM

They lied to you then.

Well, in basic, one of our instructors(an enlisted NCO) for a period of classroom instruction, taught us that 9/11 was a conspiracy, and that it was a missile that blew a hole in the Pentagon. 

No, I'm not kidding.

Siege

tje romans knuckle their armor or shield, depending if they were officers or enlisted.

Modern salute evolved from lifting the visor, to the gesture of taking off head gear, to showing your right hand unarmed.

What the fuck is that about 'knuckling the head?
Never heard that one before.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Siege on July 23, 2009, 10:42:12 PM
What the fuck is that about 'knuckling the head?
Never heard that one before.

Ironic, much?

Alatriste

OK, Grumbler probably will know this one, but it's too good not to post it. Why did Austrians think white uniforms were actually the easiest to keep clean and attractive on campaign?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.