And we're back!

Main Menu

College Football, 2021-22

Started by grumbler, September 05, 2021, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 06, 2022, 09:39:13 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2022, 07:27:05 AM

I'm hoping that somehow the NFL is forced or convinced to start a minor league to bleed off all of these players who just want to go to the pros.

Almost all the players just want to go to the pros, but since the courts have decided to blow the doors off restrictions on paying players, there is no point to a minor league. That is college football now. Sure you can start a minor league if you want, but the real money is going to be in the minor league called college football, since those teams have the brand equity that will bring the bigger compensation packages.

I think you are right, and to the extent the NFL needs some further farm teams - it has always had the CFL.

Valmy

There are not nearly enough teams in the CFL, though obviously it has always been a nice source of talent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2022, 03:58:56 PM
There are not nearly enough teams in the CFL, though obviously it has always been a nice source of talent.

What number of teams would be needed in addition to all the college teams?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

I am not sure that disrupting the model is such a bad thing.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on January 07, 2022, 12:18:25 PM
Thank you US Supreme Court!

Actually, it wasn't the Supreme Court, but state legislatures, that forced these rules changes.  The USSC ruling in Alston was about education-related benefits.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 06, 2022, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2022, 03:58:56 PM

What number of teams would be needed in addition to all the college teams?

Well none. But if we were to use the CFL as the development league instead of College Football it would need to be much bigger. I mean there is a reason why football fans don't start talking about what promising young talent they cannot wait gets called up from the CFL. There is just not a ton of that kind of thing going on every year, though it happens obviously.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on January 07, 2022, 11:36:34 AM
https://thespun.com/college-football/caleb-williams-has-received-1-million-transfer-offer?fbclid=IwAR0dbbc2qRSvB-VR8QhNVvrV0A22QZnNU3uyr1t5d-WVW-xKQrAIb2B2ssE

I don't see how college athletics survives in any recognizable state.

I think Basketball and Football have been in that state for awhile, at least in some form. I don't have any insider information or anything beyond the usual rumors of vast and deep corruption. It is just legal and above board now.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Yeah congrats Georgia. A year where Alabama doesn't win is a victory for us all good and decent people.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2022, 11:31:39 AM
Yeah congrats Georgia. A year where Alabama doesn't win is a victory for us all good and decent people.

That's rather ironic, given that Georgia is probably the most corrupt football program not located in the state of Louisiana.  I'm glad to se Alabama lose, but it is bittersweet when it means that Georgia wins. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I think what you're tasting is sour grapes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 11, 2022, 01:53:22 PM
I think what you're tasting is sour grapes.

:lol:  I think that what you are experiencing is wishful thinking.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Man. Arizona had the best recruiting class it has seen in a couple decades.

And now they are just landing a shitload of talent from the transfer portal.

WSU's "freshman" QB who was second in the conference last year in passing yards.

A 4* LB from USC.

A 4* DL from UCLA.

It's just nuts. I am sure it has a lot to do with just how weird the recruiting world is right now, but Fisch has really stepped up Arizona's ability to attract higher end talent. Which is kind of incredible for a team that only one a single game this year....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned