News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

College Football, 2021-22

Started by grumbler, September 05, 2021, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Have to agree with this guy, dangerous precedent.

https://twitter.com/DragonflyJonez/status/1467567485549436931
QuoteNever been a "rules are rules!" dweeb but something about bending rules that are put in place to protect players doesn't sit right with me.

Now Ima be a "this sets a dangerous precedent!" dork too bc if QBs add this to their bag,QBs gonna be getting concussed or worse when defenders launch into em when theyre legit sliding bc they arent "falling" for the fake. Also gives dirty defenders an out to get a cheap shot in

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1467303599734730753
Quote from: PFFKenny Pickett hit the fake-slide

VIDEO
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2021, 04:34:19 AM

Nothing outrageous here.  It's not like he committed to a slide and then came out of it.  It was more a stutter-step.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on December 06, 2021, 08:25:00 AM

Nothing outrageous here.  It's not like he committed to a slide and then came out of it.  It was more a stutter-step.

He faked starting a slide. He even *said* he faked starting a slide, and three defenders held up.

It was a rather subtle fake, and amazingly well executed. Hell, I would not have bet you *could* fake starting a slide without actually starting the slide.

The rules say that the ball becomes dead the moment a QB "commits" to a slide, at least, that was the rule back when I was working college football, so a few years ago.

I think we are going to see a change in the rules. You cannot use something put in to protect a player as a tool in your toolchest to avoid getting tackled. And the "slide fake" is definitely going to get someone hurt.

Safety rules are not, should not, and cannot be elements in deception, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

I just realized that this year of football finally matched the promise of the excellent hype video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZl35RAxerQ

Only 12 years late!  :lol:

Bayraktar!

Berkut

That is definitely the most awesome hype video ever. I loved that a decade ago.

The amount of work that must have went into that...

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2021, 10:29:17 PM
That is definitely the most awesome hype video ever. I loved that a decade ago.

The amount of work that must have went into that...

Brian Cook (owner of MGoBlog) had a kind of funny story about that:
QuoteI told Paul I wanted a hype video along the lines that you saw above... and he was skeptical. "I've never put highlights to a waltz," he said. I told the girlfriend I told Paul I wanted a hype video along the lines above and she was incredulous. "But it's desperate and sad," she said. I was kind of like yeah... and? And then also I was kind of like "in desperation there's that shred of hope; people who are down and not desperate are resigned. I could be ignorant or desperate." Actually I didn't say that, I said something along the lines of "hi, I'm a Michigan fan, nice to meet you."

I'd love to see it remade for the 2012-2021 Michigan-Ohio State series.  Lots of heartbreaks there (The Spot, the Two-Point Conversion, etc) and then lots of joy. 

But the lows are so extreme that the good seems fucking cheap
And it teases you for weeks in its absence.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

When you first posted that video, I loved the song so much I downloaded it and added it to my playlist(s). It is still in my regular rotation.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Randy the Plumber predicts the NCS outcomes
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2038059986353706&ref=sharing

Makes up in enthusiasm what it lacks in analysis.  Hilarious (and may it go from his mouth to God's ear).

Bayraktar!

Berkut

QuoteNever been a "rules are rules!" dweeb but something about bending rules that are put in place to protect players doesn't sit right with me.

Now Ima be a "this sets a dangerous precedent!" dork too bc if QBs add this to their bag,QBs gonna be getting concussed or worse when defenders launch into em when theyre legit sliding bc they arent "falling" for the fake. Also gives dirty defenders an out to get a cheap shot in

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1467303599734730753
Quote from: PFFKenny Pickett hit the fake-slide

VIDEO

QuoteThe NCAA Football Oversight committee sent a bulletin to game officials regarding the "fake slide" by Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett in the ACC championship game, sources told Sports Illustrated's Pat Forde.

Coordinator of officials Steve Shaw instructed officials to blow a play dead in event of a fake slide attempt by a quarterback. Pickett's fancy move that led to a 58-yard touchdown left fans, teams and everyone in-between wondering if it was legal.

"Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on field officials at that point. The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact," the ruling reads, in part. "To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first. A fake slide will not be considered reviewable under Rule 12-3-3 – Dead Ball and Loose Ball."

Play should have been blown dead the moment his ass dropped towards the ground in a apparent slide. I was wrong - the NCAA rules state that the ball becomes dead the moment a player begins a slide, not when the commit to it.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2021, 10:32:00 AM
Play should have been blown dead the moment his ass dropped towards the ground in a apparent slide. I was wrong - the NCAA rules state that the ball becomes dead the moment a player begins a slide, not when the commit to it.

So just a ref goof rather than a rules loophole.  That's good, because the fix is instantaneous.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

So Jim Harbaugh, as expected, gets the 2021 National Coach of the Year award in Football.  Here's an interesting fact, though:  the 2021 National Coach of the Year award in Basketball was Michigan's Juwan Howard (also a star alum who came back to his alma mater to coach).  The Michigan Difference.

Bayraktar!

Syt

This Austrian cadet seems ... not very enthused. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.