Main Menu

College Football, 2021-22

Started by grumbler, September 05, 2021, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Amusing exchange

Nebraska fan:  "Nebraska is the best 3-5 team in the country!"

Michigan fan:  "Yeah, but Nebraska is the only 3-5 team in the country!"

(Nebraska is one of four teams to have played 8 games already).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I didn't think it was possible to have a worse looking offensive line then Arizona.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2021, 10:27:31 PM
I didn't think it was possible to have a worse looking offensive line then Arizona.

You haven't seen Northwestern's O-line, then.  Individually, they are fully up to mediocre (except their left guard, who is just bad), but they clearly have a scheme where they take turns making a bonehead decision that blows up whatever play is being run.  Their backs get all their yards by themselves when they run, and the QB gets hit every time he drops back (though, sometimes, gets the pass off before he is hit).  It's a minor miracle that they've only given up 12 sacks so far.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Illinois (who is really, really bad) defeats Penn State (ranked #7 but also very bad) 20-18 in nine overtimes.  I don't know the game time, because apparently they don't report that on the sites I usually use.

Now watch Penn State go to Columbus and knock off OSU!  :lol:

What a season.  It's already had more ranked team loses than any other, and it's only half-over.

Bayraktar!

PDH

Wyoming began the season 4-0, and that very un-Wyo Football style start would take a lot of work to overcome.  Luckily, the boys in Laramie have  the drive and the pluck to overcome the best season start in 25 years.  UWyo has now lost 3 straight games, the most recent a 14-3 loss to the previous worst team in the division.

Basically, outside of a 2 minute drill vs Air Force, Wyoming has been unable to move the ball on offense for 3 weeks in a row.  I know this feeling, it is called being a "Wyoming Fan."

Next year will be better!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

I dont know if Arizona will ever get better. They keep figuring out new ways to lose in the same way.

0 rows returned

PDH

They should have never left the WAC.  They could at least beat Wyoming every year.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Now THIS is funny!  Even if you hate the SEC, you'll like this.

Sorry, Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-QxhxWTUkY&t=248s

Bayraktar!

ulmont

jimmy olsen

We don't seem to have an NFL thread, so I just want to chime in and gloat that Mac Jones should obviously have been the first QB pick in the draft.  :licklips:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on September 19, 2021, 02:55:29 PM
Hope you enjoy Don Brown.  He's a great interview.

Arizona is terrible of course, but the defense has already had a pretty incredible turnaround. They have not been higher then 8th in the Pac-12 in over a decade, and this year they are fifth.

So I rather like the day, myself. That's a pretty impressive change with basically no upgrade in talent.

We might not have him for long though - apparently he is a finalist for the UMass head coaching job.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 19, 2021, 02:04:52 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 19, 2021, 02:55:29 PM
Hope you enjoy Don Brown.  He's a great interview.

Arizona is terrible of course, but the defense has already had a pretty incredible turnaround. They have not been higher then 8th in the Pac-12 in over a decade, and this year they are fifth.

So I rather like the day, myself. That's a pretty impressive change with basically no upgrade in talent.

We might not have him for long though - apparently he is a finalist for the UMass head coaching job.

It's kinda sad that Don Brown's retirement job (if he takes it) will be in a in the same job he first held 18 years earlier.  He did wonderful things in the meantime, but never adapted to offenses that figured out his defense.  I'd love to sit down withy him over a beer, which I can't say about a lot of the top college football coaches (including any of the current Big Ten coaches and assistant coaches).

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Congratulations, Grumbler, that was a beautiful win on an ugly day.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Stil finding it hard to process the fact that WE WON THE FUCKING GAME!

I had hopes for this game, but didn't expect them to be met.  In particular, I didn't think they'd be met by Michigan just being brutally efficient on offense.  If you'd just have given the stats of Team A 9.5 YPA, 7.1 YPR, I'd have been sure that Team A was OSU.  Not today. Not today.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Very exciting comeback by the Iowa against Nebraska.  Blocked punt and fumble recovery. 

As they say Nebraska is the best 3-8 team in the country.