News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

College Football, 2021-22

Started by grumbler, September 05, 2021, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Pretty presumptuous to want to be called a saint.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2022, 11:50:58 AMPretty presumptuous to want to be called a saint.

Or a Seer, Prophet, and Revelator. But that's what they do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2022, 12:04:56 PMOr a Seer, Prophet, and Revelator. But that's what they do.

Funky.  Did not know.

grumbler

So, my Wolverines face the Iowa HawkYis today.  Iowa is a bit unusual this year:  they are #1 in scoring defense and #131 (dead last) in scoring offense.  Michigan is #4 in scoring offense and #8 in scoring defense.  Sounds like not much of a contest, eh?

Except that Michigan has lost four in a row at Kinnick, only once when Iowa was favored.  Except that Iowa has won 5 of their last last 6 home games against Top-5 teams, and they were even ranked in only one of those.

Kinnick Field has a weird juju, and, these days, a weird team (you can look up how historically-awful they are at QB and wide receiver).  Logic says those past records have no bearing on today's game, but a little voice in me says "that's what we thought last time, too."

Well, win or lose, at least everyone gets to wave at the kids in the Children's hospital during the break at the end of the first quarter, one of college football's best (if also one of the most recent, the hospital only having been completed in 2017) traditions.

Go Blue!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2022, 09:23:19 AMHuh. I've never even considered the idea that calling someone who is a Mormon, Mormon, could be a slur.

And I dated someone - considered marrying someone, and all that would entail, who was a member of the LDS church.

I certainly don't recall her ever feeling slighted or saying anything about being called Mormon. I think she used the term to describe herself, in fact.

It's very new and most practicing LDS don't really follow it per se, but the intention is over time their members quit using it and eventually society quits using it. AFAICT it's purely a branding effort.

grumbler

Kinnick Iowa showed up today, but they needed a last-second touchdown to make it respectable M27-I14.  Dunno why I was so worried about this, other than "it's Kinnick." 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

In my sober and objective analysis of the first half today OU fucking sucks and their meth addled fans can all go fuck themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Huge game tonight in Tucson. I don't think Arizona will win this game, because the Ducks simply have too good of a running game against a pretty bad Arizona rushing defense, but I think it will be exciting.

And if Bo Nix makes some early mistakes.....who knows?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Three years of OU reaching into our chests and ripping out our beating hearts and feeding them to their trailer park hell hounds wiped away in one glorious historic beat down. I only wish it was 223-0.

grumbler

Strange game in Bloomington.  Michigan raced in front of Indiana, then RB coach Mike Hart (a Michigan legend and beloved of the team) had some sort of seizure, was carted off to the hospital, and the Michigan team kinda went into shock for the rest of the half.  At the half it was 10-10 and Indiana actually had a few more yards gained than Michigan.

Second half, Michigan scored 21 unanswered points, Indian got like 60 total yards, and the result was 31-10.

Hart appears to be 100% okay, but they haven't identified the cause of the seizure, so that's worrisome. 

Congrats to Texas for arranging the departure of Lincoln Riley last year.  That was a dominant performance by Texas against Oklahoma.  The SEC may not be as happy, but fuck the SEC. 

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2022, 01:35:52 PMHuge game tonight in Tucson. I don't think Arizona will win this game, because the Ducks simply have too good of a running game against a pretty bad Arizona rushing defense, but I think it will be exciting.

Boy you aren't kidding. 300 yards and 7.5 yards per carry. Hard to win games when teams can do that to you.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 08, 2022, 05:23:57 PMCongrats to Texas for arranging the departure of Lincoln Riley last year.

If only we had found a way to deploy that magic against Bob Stoops.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2022, 11:45:28 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2022, 01:35:52 PMHuge game tonight in Tucson. I don't think Arizona will win this game, because the Ducks simply have too good of a running game against a pretty bad Arizona rushing defense, but I think it will be exciting.

Boy you aren't kidding. 300 yards and 7.5 yards per carry. Hard to win games when teams can do that to you.
Yeah, that was not pretty to say the least.

Arizona was terrible, and now they are just bad.

When bad teams play terrible teams, its easy to imagine they aren't that bad (Arizona playing Colorado). But then they run into the best team Phil's money can buy, and you realize that no, you are actually a rather bad football team.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

The #5 v #10 showdown between Michigan and Pen State turned out to be not such a slugfest.  Penn State had the ball for only 18 minutes, never forced Michigan to punt, and was outgained 563-268.  41-17 was the final.

Unless the boys lose their focus, Michigan should be 11-0 going into Columbus. Michigan is for real.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

It all feels like who gets to be scrimmage fodder for SECSECSEC but I guess it is good it won't be Notre Dame this year.

Texas survived its annual slugfest against Iowa State. On to Stillwater.