News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

College Football, 2021-22

Started by grumbler, September 05, 2021, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Is Urban really interested in a challenge like that? He took over Florida and Ohio State when they had just stumbled for a minute under Ron Zook and um....er...*wikipedia* Luke Fickel. Arizona State seems in disarray and not just in their football program but their entire athletic department.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

How long has it been since Michigan last had a genuinely elite quarterback?

QuoteMichigan's JJ McCarthy has 0 negatively graded plays through Week 3

Every other Power 5 QB has at least 6 (@PFF)

— Anthony Treash (@PFF_Anthony) September 20, 2022

True, that's been play against three tomato cans, but QBs can make mistakes against anyone.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Does Quinn Ewers already have six? Dude has only played five quarters!

Hoping for a dramatic return tomorrow against Tech.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

Wyoming plays the evil empire, BYU, this week.  BYU destroyed rivalries and such when they left the MWC in a huff because Utah got the PAC invite.

The Pokes will lose, that is what they do when they start a promising trend, but I hope they renew the ancient BYU hatred of the Wyoming Cowboys - resplendent with made up stories of Wyoming fans throwing bags of urine at the opposing team (I am unclear how drunken Cowboy fans managed to fill them) and the like.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 23, 2022, 10:06:01 AMWyoming plays the evil empire, BYU, this week.  BYU destroyed rivalries and such when they left the MWC in a huff because Utah got the PAC invite.

The Pokes will lose, that is what they do when they start a promising trend, but I hope they renew the ancient BYU hatred of the Wyoming Cowboys - resplendent with made up stories of Wyoming fans throwing bags of urine at the opposing team (I am unclear how drunken Cowboy fans managed to fill them) and the like.

Don't call them Mormons, apparently that is a slur now. So don't say Mormon while throwing urine on them.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2022, 10:19:54 AMDon't call them Mormons, apparently that is a slur now.

:huh:

It's the name of their holy book.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2022, 10:30:24 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2022, 10:19:54 AMDon't call them Mormons, apparently that is a slur now.

Not only that they did a huge nationwide advertising campaign around 2008 or so when they plastered "I am a Mormon" billboards all over the country. There were also TV ads and ads all over the internet. I don't know if you saw those in Canada but I am sure most Americans who were around back then remember that. But at some point in the last couple years the LDS Church announced that Mormons was a slur, was always a slur, it is equivalent to calling a black person the N-word, and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

It's ridiculous. However the Oregon fans probably crossed a line by chanting "Fuck the Mormons" at the game last week. You probably shouldn't chant "Fuck the Catholics" when playing Notre Dame either. But not because they used the term "Mormon"

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2022, 10:39:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2022, 10:30:24 AM

Not only that they did a huge nationwide advertising campaign around 2008 or so when they plastered "I am a Mormon" billboards all over the country. There were also TV ads and ads all over the internet. I don't know if you saw those in Canada but I am sure most Americans who were around back then remember that. But at some point in the last couple years the LDS Church announced that Mormons was a slur, was always a slur, it is equivalent to calling a black person the N-word, and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

It's ridiculous. However the Oregon fans probably crossed a line by chanting "Fuck the Mormons" at the game last week. You probably shouldn't chant "Fuck the Catholics" when playing Notre Dame either. But not because they used the term "Mormon"

I don't remember that specific ad, but I remember in the 90s they ran a whole bunch of very nice ads supporting family life, with a tag line "the Church of Latter-Day Saints - the Mormons".

Yeah: "Fuck the mormons" is offensive, but not because of the word "Mormon".

PDH

Wyoming fans always cut to the chase and chanted "Fuck You, BYU" because it was nasty and it fits the rhyme scheme most college fans understand.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on September 23, 2022, 12:01:29 PMWyoming fans always cut to the chase and chanted "Fuck You, BYU" because it was nasty and it fits the rhyme scheme most college fans understand.

Short and to the point. :thumbsup:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2022, 10:39:07 AMBut at some point in the last couple years the LDS Church announced that Mormons was a slur, was always a slur, it is equivalent to calling a black person the N-word, and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Good luck with that.

Syt

Guess the change of mind happened 2018/19?

Because this 2018 album of the Tabernacle Choir still includes "Mormon": https://www.thetabernaclechoir.org/shop/products/merry-little-christmas-2018.html

While this 2019 album doesn't: https://www.thetabernaclechoir.org/shop/products/let-us-all-press-on-2019.html

What's their reasoning? Mormon is a name that whitey non-believers gave them?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://mormonscholar.org/the-original-intention-behind-the-term-mormon/

QuoteABSTRACT

Many sources claim that the term "Mormon" was originally a derogatory term that Mormons later adopted as their own. This work evaluates that claim using original sources. It also considers alternate criteria that would indicate whether a term is derogatory or descriptive, such as whether outsiders used the term to insult other outsiders, whether outsiders used the term to insult insiders without relying on qualifiers to imply negative intent, and whether church leadership had adopted the term prior to the term acquiring unambiguously pejorative meanings. The first instance of the term among reviewed publications appears in January 1831 in local newspapers. The evidence seems to suggest that the etymology of the word "Mormon", as it refers to the people who follow the teachings of Joseph Smith, originally meant "disciples of the Book of Mormon" and did not carry any implied negative meaning. Prior literature suggests that the term shifted to having a derogatory use with the advent of the term "Jack Mormon" during conflicts such as the Missouri War, possibly as early as 1834.

And wiki suggests "It's complicated": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormons#Terminology

QuoteTerminology
The word Mormon was originally coined to describe any person who believes in the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture.[11] The term Mormonite and Mormon were originally descriptive terms used by outsiders to the faith[12][13] and occasionally used by church leaders.[14] The term Mormon later evolved into a derogatory term, likely during the 1838 Mormon War,[15] although the term was later adopted by Joseph Smith.[14]

Today, while the term Mormonism can act as a blanket term for all sects following the religious tradition started by Joseph Smith, many sects do not prefer the term Mormon as an acceptable label. For example, the largest sect, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, based in Salt Lake City, recently clarified in a style guide that it prefers the term Latter-day Saints among other acceptable terms.[16][17] The term preferred by the Salt Lake-based LDS church has varied in the past, and at various points it has embraced the term Mormon and also stated that other sects within the shared faith tradition should not be called Mormon.[18] The second-largest sect, the Community of Christ, also rejects the term Mormon due to its association with the practice of polygamy among Brighamite sects.[19] Other sects, including several fundamentalist branches of the Brighamite tradition, embrace the term Mormon.

Footnote 18 reads:

QuoteThe LDS Church has taken the position that the term Mormon should only apply to the LDS Church and its members, and not other adherents who have adopted the term. (See: "Style Guide – The Name of the Church". LDS Newsroom. April 9, 2010. Retrieved November 11, 2011.) The Church cites the AP Stylebook, which states, "The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other Latter Day Saints churches that resulted from the split after [Joseph] Smith's death." ("Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The", Associated Press, The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law, 2002, ISBN 0-7382-0740-3, p.48) Despite the LDS Church's position, the term Mormon is widely used by journalists and non-journalists to refer to adherents of Mormon fundamentalism.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Huh. I've never even considered the idea that calling someone who is a Mormon, Mormon, could be a slur. 

And I dated someone - considered marrying someone, and all that would entail, who was a member of the LDS church.

I certainly don't recall her ever feeling slighted or saying anything about being called Mormon. I think she used the term to describe herself, in fact.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2022, 09:23:19 AMHuh. I've never even considered the idea that calling someone who is a Mormon, Mormon, could be a slur.

And I dated someone - considered marrying someone, and all that would entail, who was a member of the LDS church.

I certainly don't recall her ever feeling slighted or saying anything about being called Mormon. I think she used the term to describe herself, in fact.

This is a very recent development. Syt mentions 2019 but I think it happened last year or something.