News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pax Pamir

Started by Jacob, August 16, 2021, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Has anyone here played Pax Pamir: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/256960/pax-pamir-second-edition ?

If so, what are your thoughts on the game?

Tamas

We had a couple of pbem games of it here. It's a clever and fun system but ultimately I enjoyed Pax Porfiriana more due to less abstraction. No idea about the other Pax games.

The Minsky Moment

Key play tip: Play Evacuate Embassy Personnel card BEFORE withdrawing troops from the capital.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

bogh

I haven't played, but heard great things about it, including here. So I backed the reprint and should receive my copy this fall sometime.

Berkut

Could you imagine how much fun a Languis John Company game would be?

People would be murdered.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Or we'd quietly drop the game after just a few turns  :P

Habbaku

I'd be happy to organize a Languish John Company game provided that people could commit to a 24-hour discussion timer for each position. Each turn would probably take up to a week? A dry run of a potential 6-turn game could be wrapped up in two months, which isn't bad.

The real trick is organizing people in different time zones, as usual.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2021, 12:02:24 PM
Has anyone here played Pax Pamir: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/256960/pax-pamir-second-edition ?

If so, what are your thoughts on the game?

It's great, definitely the 2nd-strongest in the series for me (Pax Renaissance being the first).

I don't agree that it has more abstraction that Pax Porfiriana.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

I have the 2nd edition (was an early backer), it's somewhat different from the 1st (which I think we played here on Languish). I like it and would be up for a game.

Agelastus

Quote from: Solmyr on August 17, 2021, 04:21:57 AM
I have the 2nd edition (was an early backer), it's somewhat different from the 1st (which I think we played here on Languish). I like it and would be up for a game.

You did play a game on Languish; I remember enjoying reading the thread as a bystander to the game.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Yeah, I enjoyed our first bout.