Main Menu

Canada Election 2021

Started by Josephus, August 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2021, 09:04:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2021, 08:58:07 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2021, 06:23:39 AM
There has been a very large anti-Trudeau faction ever since he got elected. Mostly stupid people who blame him for everything, even things he's got nothing to do with.
Like his inaction on climate change, his inaction on First Nations reconciliation, his inaction on protecting women from sexual harassment in his own party, his inaction on protection the financial future of the next generation, his inaction on making Canada an international leader like he promised, his inaction on planting the billion trees he was supposed to (we have 800 000 so far) plant during his first mandate, his inaction in tackling the rise in gun crimes in Canada since he was elected, his inaction on protection French speakers rights in Canada, his inaction on dealing with provinces from equal to equal, his inaction on shifting Canada from a leader in oil production to a leader in green energy production?

Yeah, I kinda see where you're going to with that.  Soooo unfair.  It's like all those evil (tm) people who can not see all the good Donald Trump has done for the USA and only insists on criticizing him for doing nothing. ;)

See y'all forget that we had this COVID thing, which really got in the way of governing.
Covid appeared in Canada in early March 2020.
The Liberals won their first election in October 19th 2015.  5 years before covid.  Their promise to plant 1 billion trees wasn't made in July 2020.
The deficit was already running amok by March 2020, and it was seen as "refreshing" in 2015 by many journalists and Liberal partisans that a government would "dare" to waste tax payers money.

Now, we see the results: the debt is spiraling out of control and we have to tackle inflation while everyone is strapped for cash but the most whealthy among us.

Had we had surplus between 2015-2020, spending would not have been a problem.  As it is now, Trudeau governed exactly the same as Trump.  I criticize Trump's (mis)management of the economy, I'm certainly not going to applaud Trudeau for racking up a deficit like the other moron.

ANd since you talk about covid, let's talk about it:
- the Feds dragged its feet in closing the border, letting travelers come in without even questioning them on their symptoms or requiring a quarantine.  Trudeau only acted when Quebec threatened to send the Provincial police to the airport.
- the Feds dragged their feet all along to enact any kind of sensible measure to protect the Canadian population, like mandatory quarantine of visitors and returning travelers<
- when it was enacted, there were almost no check done, only about 20-25% of all concerned where verified, and often, by a simple phone call on their cell phone.
- While CC keeps bragging about how the LPC is so superior for requiring proof of vaccination for its workers, the party is a late comer to the idea: Trudeau always opposed such measures as they were "divisive".  He was against Quebec implemening a vaccine passport at first and only relented when other provinces began to talk about it too.  Even now, they may say they will require it, but they have no plan to implement this.  Like always.  They have no phone app or QR code to keep track of vaccination proofs and have yet to beging working with the provinces for this.  It is only pure talk, as always.

Covid has made it so that many countries, many OECD countries have reduced their GHG emissions since spring 2020.  Canada has increase its emissions.  Why is covid affecting us and not England, or Germany?

By all mean, if you guys are seduced by smooth talkers, go & vote for the Libs.  I simply prefer a government that will act to tackle the issues that the next generation will face.

If the green party wasn't so racist, I might have made a protest vote for them like last time, but ain't gonna happen this year.  Not gonna vote for that Bloc moron either.  Certainly not for any of the parties that like a good book burning from time to time.  Not many choices left.  And no, I ain't talking about the PPC.

Either I vote Conservative or I cancel my vote or I don't vote.  I haven't decided yet.  There are lots of things I don't like about O'toole, first among many his ambiguous discourse towards Quebec's laicity law.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 09:09:57 AM

Don't make the same mistakes our friends in the RoC keep doing & expect the federal government to fix things that are in the provincial sphere. We elect strong provincial governments for a reason.
Quebec should not have to fight endlessly to keep the Feds out of our affairs.
If the Canadians want a pan-national kindergarden program despite its obvious flaws and failures in Quebec, so be it.  I can live with that as long as the Libs honor their promise to compensate us.
But when it comes to global warming, we can't act each&everyone in our corner like the US, it only leads to failure.  If Alberta is unwilling to change its economy, it shouldn't be artificially subsidized to keep it in place.  The same with Ontario and nuclear power: they don't want nuclear reactors, they don't want to buy our electricity, so they'll restart thermal plants.  Who's gonna end up paying?  The provinces who already trying to reduce their GHG emisssions.  Just like we are globally paying for China's negligence on everything.
As for the religious right being in control of the CPC, they have always been more numerous, yet they could never truly control the party for a simple reason: it would split again like in the 90s and lead to decades of Liberal rule, something no one in there is keen to live again.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2021, 09:40:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2021, 05:10:21 PM
Btw, BB, what can you tell us about the dude from that New Albertan/Western Bloc?  A separatist devil or a simple nationalist devil? ;)

Who are you referring to?
Ah, Maverick Party.  I've seen it listed and created in 2020, but haven't read much about them.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2021, 11:33:16 AM
I didn't get into university. Fuck Trudeau.
Not true at all.

These people absolutely loathe university (and education at large) and consider "life experience" to be 1000% times better.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2021, 12:01:15 PM
1) I don't like how he has centralized all governmental decision making within the PMO - something he promised he would not do but he has gone further down that road than Harper.
That begun under his father, got a tiny little respite during Mulroney's years and started again, at an unprecedented pace under Chrétien.  You can't seriously be surprised about this.  It's like someone voting for Trump suddenly surprised that he's naming conservative judges to the USSC or cutting medicare&medicaid funds.

3) I really don't like how he has handed the indigenous file.  He should have replaced that minister a long time ago.  They are unresponsive and lack any innovation or common sense.  They are even failing to do what Liberals do best - throwing money at the problem.  It is definitely time for a better approach on what is becoming one of the most significant costs to the Federal budget.
What Liberals do best is talking about something.  Only when that fails do they throw money at it.  ;)

4) The thing I like the least is his apparent lack of ability to think deeply about any of his policy choices.
Nothing really new there.  He made an empty campaign in 2015 and was elected because of his promise to tackle the Quebec problem, like Chrétien did.  And because he also promised to not care about the deficit and the debt.  I guess we should be happy of seeing a Liberal keep his promises.

But Singh is also unburdened by that problem and he does not present the same problems Trudeau does.
I agree.  He presents other problems.

My main hope is that Trudeau will have to step aside and then then the Liberals can get a leader we can have more confidence in - perhaps Carney.
Forget it.  He's the last person they want at their head.  He's the one they need, but they don't want him.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 08, 2021, 12:29:50 PM
by conservative trash radio.
and how many channels with how many auditors are we talking about for Canada?

Josephus

So Frenchies: How was the debate?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 09, 2021, 06:15:28 AM
So Frenchies: How was the debate?
haven't watched, was busy with something else.

crazy canuck

The polling seems to indicate that the Conservatives are coming in about where they were in the last election - no big surprise there.  The big surprise is if they grew from that number.  And the Liberal support has shrunk down to where they were at the last election.

Their support is bleeding to the NDP.  So the question is going to be will Singh be able to convince enough liberal voters that he is the best bet for an ABC vote. 

Jacob

Not having any luck connecting to the debate right now  :(

Jacob

... okay I'm in, and it's just pre-game blah-blah-blah.

Jacob

Starting in about 10 minutes.

Trudeau and Singh wearing masks, Paul just took hers off. Bernier and O'Toole without them.

... now the masks are off across the board.

Jacob

I really enjoy watching these debates. My boy is watching too.

"What would you have done differently about Afghanistan"?

Singh & O'Toole - "Trudeau selfishly called an election! I wouldn't have done that."

Jacob

The moderator just shut Singh down.

"During this pandemic, a poor showing on leadership and accountability was..."

"Mr. Singh, the topic is China and human rights." :D

Jacob

I have to admit that I do like Blanchet. Alas I'm not Quebecois  :lol:

Of course, he has a different hand of cards to play - being able to be a gadfly to Alberta and not worrying about having to represent all of Canada as PM.