The Wayward Realms--new RPG by Elder Scrolls designers in the making

Started by Josephus, August 03, 2021, 06:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2021, 04:10:32 AM
Never in my life had I heard of this "American" classification of open world games. In general, I don't think you can make a distinction between American and European video games.
Racist against Asian video games!
PDH!

Josquius

I'm saying nothing too novel here. There's always been a marked difference between Japanese and American game design.
It was a long while ago but I think it was a super eye patch wolf analysis of yakuza where I first saw  the big differences in approach to open world pointed out, explaining why I tend to enjoy Japanese efforts more .
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 07, 2021, 03:28:05 AM
QuoteOk so besides Bethesda who else is doing these "American" style games? Because I usually think of Ubisoft or CPR when I think of Open World games and those are both Euro game companies no?

Everyone. It's the dominant "genre" /aspect of other genres, of the moment.
Most AAA games are open world. E.g. Far Cry, Assasins Creed, ghost of tsushima, etc...

European games err towards the American side, with some such as mad max really being typical of that style whilst others like witcher 3 and GTA to do the best job of finding a middle ground.

Far Cry and Assassins Creed are Ubisoft so Euro, not American. GTA was developed in the UK wasn't it? And GTA is somehow the same style of game as Witcher 3?!!

I mean if this is some kind of American thing can you name another game not made by Bethesda that was actually developed in the United States that is of this style?

Quote from: Tyr on August 07, 2021, 08:09:51 AM
I'm saying nothing too novel here. There's always been a marked difference between Japanese and American game design.
It was a long while ago but I think it was a super eye patch wolf analysis of yakuza where I first saw  the big differences in approach to open world pointed out, explaining why I tend to enjoy Japanese efforts more .

I mean if you like Japanese stuff that makes sense. I am just not sure I buy this idea that everything not Japanese is American or defined by America somehow.

Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2021, 04:10:32 AM
Never in my life had I heard of this "American" classification of open world games. In general, I don't think you can make a distinction between American and European video games.

I definitely think Euros have a different sensibility than Americans. But I suppose we are more similar to each other than we are to the Japanese.

In any case while I liked this game as a concept, I have my doubts it will ever actually exist based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVqd9Oi288Y

Oof that is all kinds of bad news, not not unusual for these kinds of small studio efforts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Calling Ac & Far Cry Euro because Ubisoft HQ is in Paris is a stretch.

Those games are made in Montreal, Toronto & Quebec city.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 11, 2021, 06:04:01 AM
Calling Ac & Far Cry Euro because Ubisoft HQ is in Paris is a stretch.

Those games are made in Montreal, Toronto & Quebec city.

Well Toronto is kind of like America, but with better health care and more public transportation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

It's weird you're framing this in terms of Europe vs America. Its Japan vs America that I said and is where the differences lie.

GTA(5) and Witcher 3 are different both both have the commonality in having wide worlds that still have depth and polish across them. Not much in the way of copy and paste fetch quests just to pad things out. I mention them as they do take the best aspects of both the American and Japanese way.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

You introduced Europe into the mix and your unclear writing made it seem like you were suggesting another difference there. In fact, your post I'm replying to highlights again how you think those European products are different from their American counterparts...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2021, 03:33:59 AM
You introduced Europe into the mix and your unclear writing made it seem like you were suggesting another difference there. In fact, your post I'm replying to highlights again how you think those European products are different from their American counterparts...
Valmy brought up Europe. I just replied. As said European games tend towards the American side of the scale, in some cases very much so ala mad max, but in others you get the best examples of a balance between the two.
██████
██████
██████