The Wayward Realms--new RPG by Elder Scrolls designers in the making

Started by Josephus, August 03, 2021, 06:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote"Big cities with hundreds or thousands of NPCs, deep, dark, dangerous forests, gigantic mountain ranges, sprawling swamps and marshlands, vast oceans, and more, brought to life through dynamic, procedural generation."

I was wondering when someone would try to re-attempt Daggerfall's procedurally generated fantasy RPG world with modern technology. Let's hope it will be less bland that most of Daggerfall's content. ;)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

One would hope that we have advanced on what kinds of procedural generation we can do since 1996.

It is cool that somebody is trying it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Colour me uninspired. American style open worlds don't have the appeal they did when I was a kid. I'd much rather see something contained in size and well crafted ala witcher or yakuza than something that's just big.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2021, 08:53:45 AM
Colour me uninspired. American style open worlds don't have the appeal they did when I was a kid. I'd much rather see something contained in size and well crafted ala witcher or yakuza than something that's just big.

What do you mean by "American style"?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1685310/The_Wayward_Realms/

QuoteUnder the direction of Ted Peterson and Julian LeFay — lead developers of the team behind the Elder Scrolls Arena and Daggerfall—Once Lost Games is creating a new open-world fantasy RPG where choice, consequence, scope and role-playing will be experienced like never before in a realistically-scaled open world in a new class of game: The Grand RPG.

The Wayward Realms is set on a group of over one hundred, realistically scaled, islands, known collectively as the Archipelago, where scores of factions vie for influence and power. Kingdoms strive to maintain their dominance, upstarts seek to earn a place at the top, and dynasties set generational plots into motion. Should the player earn a position of prominence, they may change the course of history. However, they must first prove their worth battling rivals, mercenaries, monsters, spirits, and demons. On their quest for fame and fortune, players will venture through strange lands, delve into foreboding dungeons, and traverse kingdoms full of humans, elves, orks, dwarves and a few other unusual races.

Welcome To The Archipelago!

A Massive World. No, really! Way bigger than most other games you can think of. Big cities with hundreds or thousands of NPCs, deep, dark, dangerous forests, gigantic mountain ranges, sprawling swamps and marshlands, vast oceans, and more, brought to life through dynamic, procedural generation.

Constantly Evolving Experience and Story. A virtual Game Master keeps things interesting for you, making other characters and their factions react and plot their next move based on your actions, resulting in no two players having the exact same game experience. World events have very different effects in the life of a socializing aristocrat, a thief entrenched in underworld conspiracies, a scholar collecting ancient artifacts, or whatever role you craft for yourself.

Real Role-Playing. You're not playing some prebaked warrior or mage, but a character class of your design, with customized skills and abilities to craft your own spells, potions, and enchantments. Want to try playing a character who is really, really outside the box? We got you.

A World Full of Lore. We call it Wayward Realms for a reason. On the surface, things may have that familiar, medieval fantasy look, but dig a bit deeper and there's a lot to learn. From the multiple moons in the sky, to the libraries worth of books, to the multiple cultures of each race, there is always something new to discover.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

I look forward to seeing how much of that fluff goes undelivered.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2021, 12:12:54 PM

I think he means the Elder Scrolls and its clones.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on August 03, 2021, 12:30:41 PM
I look forward to seeing how much of that fluff goes undelivered.

Like Ubisoft's service ideas, almost all of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

There's exceptions to every rule of course but generally....
American style open world games tend to value size. Lots of copy and paste stuff to bulk things out but really big worlds are the goal.
Japanese style open worlds tend to be tiny in comparison. Run from one wide of the world to the other in a few minutes. But they're a lot richer. Less copy and paste and more crafted stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2021, 01:04:47 PM

There's exceptions to every rule of course but generally....
American style open world games tend to value size. Lots of copy and paste stuff to bulk things out but really big worlds are the goal.
Japanese style open worlds tend to be tiny in comparison. Run from one wide of the world to the other in a few minutes. But they're a lot richer. Less copy and paste and more crafted stuff.

Ok so besides Bethesda who else is doing these "American" style games? Because I usually think of Ubisoft or CPR when I think of Open World games and those are both Euro game companies no?

Anyway I am kind of intrigued by this project. Nobody has even tried anything like this since Daggerfall. I also like it is a starter company.

Zoupa

Josquius

QuoteOk so besides Bethesda who else is doing these "American" style games? Because I usually think of Ubisoft or CPR when I think of Open World games and those are both Euro game companies no?

Everyone. It's the dominant "genre" /aspect of other genres, of the moment.
Most AAA games are open world. E.g. Far Cry, Assasins Creed, ghost of tsushima, etc...

European games err towards the American side, with some such as mad max really being typical of that style whilst others like witcher 3 and GTA to do the best job of finding a middle ground.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Never in my life had I heard of this "American" classification of open world games. In general, I don't think you can make a distinction between American and European video games.