News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Paradox Tinto Game - "Project Caesar"

Started by Syt, February 28, 2024, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Wales and its situation does stand out as another area where paradox games tend to fail to properly handle small areas.
Maybe not being able to deal with mountains is part of the problem? Or making rebellious areas fun?

Looking at the map I'm most curious on what the deal is in Scotland.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: Josquius on May 21, 2024, 02:55:25 AMLooking at the map I'm most curious on what the deal is in Scotland.

Maybe the struggle between Bruce and Balliol?

Tamas

EU4 has the province autonomy system, jacking that up way high feels a much better solution to Wales than having it as a vassal.

Richard Hakluyt

Second war of Scottish independence :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_War_of_Scottish_Independence

It appears that 14th century Wales was run by a ragbag of Marcher Lords, other lords and some native leaders. Each of them administered their own courts of law and the link with England appears to be fealty to the crown. Also worth bearing in mind that the population of Wales back then was only 200k so arguably the whole conquest was a bit of a waste of resources.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2024, 01:15:11 AMWas there a separate system of law and a parliament for Wales prior to that point?
There was a Welsh legal system until the Tudors. It's very different to the history of Ireland or Scotland.

Wales was basically conquered and run as a potentially unruly province and then legally, politically and ecclesiastically effectively merged into England by the Tudors (a Welsh origin dynasty). It's not and has never really been a "union".
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 21, 2024, 04:09:06 AMSecond war of Scottish independence :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_War_of_Scottish_Independence

It appears that 14th century Wales was run by a ragbag of Marcher Lords, other lords and some native leaders. Each of them administered their own courts of law and the link with England appears to be fealty to the crown. Also worth bearing in mind that the population of Wales back then was only 200k so arguably the whole conquest was a bit of a waste of resources.

Fair - there may not be many people, but it could be a staging post for an invasion of England, which I think was ultimately part of the logic for invasions, unions etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

My favourite Wales tale is Edward promising to name a prince "born in Wales, who did not speak a word of English" to rule wales, and then naming his infant son :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

I read a couple of books recently on the Marcher Lordships. They were interesting. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on May 21, 2024, 11:02:33 AMMy favourite Wales tale is Edward promising to name a prince "born in Wales, who did not speak a word of English" to rule wales, and then naming his infant son :lol:

To be fair Edward meant that it would be a Norman not an English noble.  And he was good to his word.

Remember Edward himself did not speak English as his primary language.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 21, 2024, 12:37:58 AMEngland was a highly centralised state by 14th century standards. It had one system of weights and measures for the whole country, law was enforced and courts held by the justices of the peace and was the King's law, when parliament imposed taxes they were for the entire country. This is an important reason why the 4m English of the time were able to war succesfully with the 20m French.

I think this is also one of the points around France and England shaping and being shaped by each other.

Again I'm aware the framework for the early modern is state formation and centralisation. But I think in this period it is England's centralisation with an increasingly strong parliament that enables England to fight France; at the same time it provokes a French centralisation and state formation around the monarch that spurs the eventual French victory.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Wales is another area where making small nations work will be the challenge. It isn't even "tall" play there so much as....surviving.
Why doesn't England just annex it and culture convert it?- tonnes of explanations for why reality didn't pan out that way but in games there's no obvious answer.
██████
██████
██████