News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Millennia - 4X Civ Like published by Paradox

Started by Syt, September 21, 2023, 10:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Yeah, very mixed. I pre-bought it (because I can't be trusted to have access to disposable income :P ), though not sure I will dig into it before the weekend.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

The positive Youtube reviews almost convinced me to ignore the negative ones, then one of the mentioned there's already a DLC confirmed adding nuclear weapons i.e. nuclear power is not in the base game (but visiting UFOs are). Pass.

Josephus

Thing with YouTubers, though, is I find some, not all, are fanboys who want to please their masters.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

If I get this it will be when it on sale at a deep discount.  I was not a fan of the demo.  It felt like a great game, for the early 2000s.

chipwich

This is excellent. It's the first 4x in a long time where I'm not listening to an audiobook since there are so many nuanced decisions to make.

Tamas

chipwich

I don't think I've ever used nukes in a civ game. The tempo of play doesn't support it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: chipwich on March 26, 2024, 05:31:30 PMThis is excellent. It's the first 4x in a long time where I'm not listening to an audiobook since there are so many nuanced decisions to make.

Thanks for being our playtester  :) What are some of the examples that don't occur in other 4x games?

Tamas

Quote from: chipwich on March 26, 2024, 06:08:35 PMI don't think I've ever used nukes in a civ game. The tempo of play doesn't support it.

It's the principle.

chipwich

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2024, 06:30:08 PM
Quote from: chipwich on March 26, 2024, 05:31:30 PMThis is excellent. It's the first 4x in a long time where I'm not listening to an audiobook since there are so many nuanced decisions to make.

Thanks for being our playtester  :) What are some of the examples that don't occur in other 4x games?

The Building chains- It's like an Anno game in a Civ game

Alternate ages- Warps plans and makes playthroughs different.

Victory conditions are unpredictable, not like civ where you implicitly choose at the start of the game based on your civ bonus.

A nuanced anti-rapid expansion system that involves punishing events and hard choices about spending your precious Government mana.

I will emphasize that it's $40

crazy canuck

Quote from: chipwich on March 26, 2024, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2024, 06:30:08 PM

The Building chains- It's like an Anno game in a Civ game

Alternate ages- Warps plans and makes playthroughs different.

Victory conditions are unpredictable, not like civ where you implicitly choose at the start of the game based on your civ bonus.

A nuanced anti-rapid expansion system that involves punishing events and hard choices about spending your precious Government mana.

I will emphasize that it's $40

Thanks, taking it for a spin now - I am liking it.  When I tried the demo I rushed through it a bit and didn't take enough time to understand all the mechanics.  You are right, a lot of decisions and the need to balance those decisions.

Richard Hakluyt

I am also enjoying it. About three hours in, which is more than I ever managed for civ6  :hmm:

At this time it is impossible to say how long it will hold my attention; but its the cost of a decent lunch so even if it ends up only being 20 hours total I will be satisfied  :cool: