News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox: Star Trek Infinite

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, June 09, 2023, 02:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Oh another thing I noticed when looking at the Romulans ... apparently there's no Remans? I mean, Star Trek: Nemesis was not a very good movie, but removing them from the equation completely (esp. when Stellaris has a mechanic for master/servant races within an Empire)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on October 13, 2023, 01:56:34 PMAfter a few patches maybe it will be good?
I'm skeptical of how they'll do it and what I read now doesn't sound encouraging.
But a proper story driven star trek strategy. A new and improved birth of the federation. Would be great.

I don't know read a couple reviews and they don't sound terrible.

I mean - I played the hell out of Birth of the Federation.  It was not a very good 4-X game.  But it was a Star Trek 4-x game, and that was enough for me.

And like any Paradox game - give them a couple patches to work out the bugs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 13, 2023, 02:37:46 PMOh another thing I noticed when looking at the Romulans ... apparently there's no Remans? I mean, Star Trek: Nemesis was not a very good movie, but removing them from the equation completely (esp. when Stellaris has a mechanic for master/servant races within an Empire)?

Hmm...  Yeah I didn't love Nemesis, but it's canon and Remans need to be in there somehow.

It's not like a one-off episode that you can frankly ignore.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Overall the general mood online seems to be that this is a decent, but not great game. 7/10, I guess? I will wait for a patch or two before diving in proper, I think. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

They posted on the Paradox forums that this game will no longer receive updates so I guess no patches lol

Paradox really is a mess  :lol:

I've no faith in any of their products, in house or otherwise.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Crazy_Ivan80

Star trek: finite would have been the superior title...

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

This one was coming - there'd been massive layoffs at the developers in recent months. Not sure how much of this is on Paradox, though. The deva are part of Embracer group who have been slashing and gutting studios ever since their anticipated deal for 2 billion dollars dollaroonies fell through.

https://www.pcgamer.com/embracer-reveals-it-laid-off-around-1400-people-in-6-months-last-year-but-dont-be-a-bellyacher-this-is-all-about-maximising-shareholder-value/

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/embracer-lays-off-staff-at-star-trek-infinite-dev-nimble-giant
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Paradox let people purchase an incomplete game that didn't actually get post release support. It is on them just like their increasingly long list of fails.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Curious. I'd imagine the license would have cost a fair bit. Sad it hasn't worked out.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Maybe should have tried Nintentoesque route of banning fan mods for Stellaris. It was always going to be an uphill slog against a detailed, free mods based on latest version of Stellaris vs this was an earlier fork.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2024, 05:20:45 AMMaybe should have tried Nintentoesque route of banning fan mods for Stellaris. It was always going to be an uphill slog against a detailed, free mods based on latest version of Stellaris vs this was an earlier fork.

I'm reminded of the Stargate game mess. Fan games got absolutely destroyed when it was in development- the developers claim ignorance and said as they understand it (which seems true?) if the rights owner hear of a fan game then they legally have to destroy it or else they lose their copyright?
Maybe with mods its different?
██████
██████
██████