Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJL

Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2024, 04:09:40 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 22, 2024, 11:38:44 PM- the unfolding bananapocolypse
That is a myth though.

Rediscovering local varieties does not mean shutting off the borders to all foreign markets.  If you look at 3rd world countries that have high tariffs, this is actually hurting their economy, not helping them promote local industries.

Tunisia comes to mind, among others.  They were never better because of high tariffs on finished products.  On the contrary, they fared worst because they became dependant on only some suppliers and could never get enough of a competitive advantage to develop.

The article you posted didn't suggest that bananageddon is a myth but over-hyped and still a concern though.

viper37

Quote from: PJL on March 25, 2024, 04:25:45 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 22, 2024, 11:38:44 PM- the unfolding bananapocolypse
That is a myth though.

Rediscovering local varieties does not mean shutting off the borders to all foreign markets.  If you look at 3rd world countries that have high tariffs, this is actually hurting their economy, not helping them promote local industries.

Tunisia comes to mind, among others.  They were never better because of high tariffs on finished products.  On the contrary, they fared worst because they became dependant on only some suppliers and could never get enough of a competitive advantage to develop.

The article you posted didn't suggest that bananageddon is a myth but over-hyped and still a concern though.
It's a concern, but bananas aren't going extinct.  There is no apocalypse coming for this fruit.

And they aren't dying because of globalization, because we dropped tariffs on a specific variety of bananas.  It's more complicated than that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

If they die well just puck another, like last time.

I don't like bananas,  so I'm good either way
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

That is a myth though.

I'm pro trade. As said this is a weird place to push those concerns- which suggests to me they're just looking for an excuse.

Reading this article of yours... it says its a myth that bananas will go extinct- which sounds way over the top and not something I took from anything I've ever read.
As the article itself says its not a myth that we already changed banana varieties in the 50s for the same reason and there's no immediate replacement to hand if the same happens to the backup we're now relying on.
The point is less whether this current outbreak is the one to fuck up the banana industry, and more that it is so vulnerable in the first place and we have a hefty chunk of human food reliant on vulnerable monocultures.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 25, 2024, 07:36:37 PMI don't like bananas,  so I'm good either way
:wacko:
How could you not like banana split!  Banana antibiotics!  Banana cakes!  Banana... everything!  :D

It's kiwis for me.  They could all die and I'd never notice nor miss these awful things.  :D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I had banana flavoured asthma medication as a kid. I liked it, but it tasted  super strong (myth that the artificial banana flavour tastes like the original cultivare, not the current one).

But in any regards its the banana texture I don't like. I have to eat it so unripe that sometimes it numbs my mouth, on the odd occasion I eat one :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Election called.
Timing seems weird to me. Surely after the Olympics with the feel good boost would be better?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

That's assuming all would go  fine with Olympics games.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 09, 2024, 11:47:29 PMThat's assuming all would go  fine with Olympics games.  :P

It's not expected to?
All vibes I've heard have been pretty positive. Lots of good work to get Paris ready, the approach of concentrating on actually building useful infrastructure rather than brand new white elephant arenas seems a good one.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Parisians have been complaining a lot lately:

- never ending works in the streets
- delays (forget about the new new Roissy CDG airport link being ready in time for the Olympics)
- QR codes/passes needed in some areas during the Olympics along the Seine mostly but not only
- some major metro stations being already closed (!) such as Concorde not even being possible to use the connections to other metro lines.
-works that disrupted previously very reliable metro such as the automated line 14
- the mayor neglecting street cleaning

OTOH, line 14 will be ready in time for the Olympics to link at last Orly airport with the city centre. :)

viper37

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on June 10, 2024, 01:34:05 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 10, 2024, 08:55:35 AMParisians have been complaining a lot lately:
That last word seems superfluous.
:P

Il y a une culture française (et parisienne), jeune macroniste ! :D

I meant as in more than usual.  :P
On the other hand, it's even worse for the banlieusards.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 10, 2024, 08:55:35 AMParisians have been complaining a lot lately:

- never ending works in the streets
- delays (forget about the new new Roissy CDG airport link being ready in time for the Olympics)
- QR codes/passes needed in some areas during the Olympics along the Seine mostly but not only
- some major metro stations being already closed (!) such as Concorde not even being possible to use the connections to other metro lines.
-works that disrupted previously very reliable metro such as the automated line 14
- the mayor neglecting street cleaning

OTOH, line 14 will be ready in time for the Olympics to link at last Orly airport with the city centre. :)
FWIW at this time in 2012 Londoners were complaining, dreading the Olympics, smugly talking about how they were planning to leave the city during it because it would be unbearable. It was three times over budget and there were genuine fears it was not going to be ready in time. Mitt Romney was on a trip to demonstrate his foreign policy nous and immediately offended everyone by saying it didn't look "anywhere near ready" based on his experience in Salt Lake City.

Then it started and it was the best time I've ever been in the city. It was fantastic - on time (though still three times overbudget because Britain :lol:), everyone was in a great mood, the entire city really, really got into it. And it helped have a transformative impact on that part of the East End.

Obviously you might get the Montreal experience (I hope not) but I don't think the mood a month or two before means anything.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2024, 01:44:38 PMFWIW at this time in 2012 Londoners were complaining, dreading the Olympics, smugly talking about how they were planning to leave the city during it because it would be unbearable. It was three times over budget and there were genuine fears it was not going to be ready in time. Mitt Romney was on a trip to demonstrate his foreign policy nous and immediately offended everyone by saying it didn't look "anywhere near ready" based on his experience in Salt Lake City.

Spot on.  :P
Aside, from no Mitt Romney, not — yet— thrice over budget though.

QuoteThen it started and it was the best time I've ever been in the city. It was fantastic - on time (though still three times overbudget because Britain :lol:), everyone was in a great mood, the entire city really, really got into it. And it helped have a transformative impact on that part of the East End.

Hopefully, but my sporting events ticket money went to the Euro in Germany.  :D

QuoteObviously you might get the Montreal experience (I hope not) but I don't think the mood a month or two before means anything.

Francophone enough, but the 1968 Grenoble Olympics or even Albertville in 1992 are  closer examples, if of Winter Olympics.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 10, 2024, 01:54:52 PMHopefully, but my sporting events ticket money went to the Euro in Germany.  :D
Fair - if you get the bug, you can always go along the route to the marathon or any of the other road races - I did that a couple of times in 2012.

QuoteFrancophone enough, but the 1968 Grenoble Olympics or even Albertville in 1992 are  closer examples, if of Winter Olympics.
Didn't realise they were popularly loathed and regretted :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!