Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: PDH on September 27, 2021, 10:11:40 AM
Well, there are good people on both sides of this.

Too late, he has already been compared to Trump in France. Apples and oranges if you ask me. A right-wing intellectual, even if polemist and gaulle-bonapartist sovereignist vs a billionaire who is not known to for his intellectual consistency ahem, if not outright uncultured.

Though comparing him to Trump is more insulting for his intelligence and culture than Salazar, Metaxas or Dolfuss, which is the point obviously.

PDH

Trump didn't invent the line, and it has been used for a long time by racists to minimize their actions.  I am more comparing followers to followers.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: PDH on September 27, 2021, 10:21:42 AM
Trump didn't invent the line, and it has been used for a long time by racists to minimize their actions.  I am more comparing followers to followers.

Still apples and oranges, by comparing followers to followers. Zemmour has a devoted base avidly reading his books (non digital they are old-school), far from the people attracted by an ignoramus made famous again by a crappy real tv show.

PDH

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 27, 2021, 10:24:54 AM

Still apples and oranges, by comparing followers to followers. Zemmour has a devoted base avidly reading his books (non digital they are old-school), far from the people attracted by an ignoramus made famous again by a crappy real tv show.
Apples and oranges are often not as far apart as people think.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: PDH on September 27, 2021, 10:35:41 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 27, 2021, 10:24:54 AM

Apples and oranges are often not as far apart as people think.

You are mixing up apples and oranges with lemons and oranges.

PDH

I am more the opera bouffe type than the serious arguer.  Let just say that the defense of "He/she/they" is/are intellectuals is well and good, but base motives often do lurk beneath.

I guess as long as their is a steady flow from the eclair mines I will not argue too much.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: PDH on September 27, 2021, 10:50:27 AM
I am more the opera bouffe type than the serious arguer.  Let just say that the defense of "He/she/they" is/are intellectuals is well and good, but base motives often do lurk beneath.

I guess as long as their is a steady flow from the eclair mines I will not argue too much.
Half agreement, half disagreement?

That's nice but this reminds me that my local favorite pastry shop for éclairs au chocolat closed down (boss retired) and I have not yet found a real replacement.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 27, 2021, 09:43:54 AM
Man, the far-right really uses the same tricks everywhere.

"It's quoted out of context" ; "It's just a reaction against PCness"; "Please perform a finely-tuned, in-detail exegesis of this guy's oeuvre/discourses/radio show before you dare call him a racist"; "He's not a racist - racists just really like him for some weird reason".

In the meantime, one apple of the post-modern leftist's eye was showing how there are many good people on both sides, though Zemmour would disagree with above mentioned statement.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/faits-divers/eric-zemmour-menace-de-mort-en-pleine-rue-a-paris-20210927

Complete with the racism accusation, from pros at racism, up to hate-motivated murders, a classic for non-assimilated banlieue-like scum. Bonus: some not exactly halal swearing (sur le Coran d'la Mecque).
Quote«Sur le Coran de la Mecque je vais te fumer», a déclaré un passant au polémiste.

Eric Zemmour a une nouvelle fois fait l'objet d'une agression. Ce lundi 27 septembre en début d'après-midi, le journaliste a été pris pour cible, boulevard de Clichy, dans le XVIIIe arrondissement de Paris, a indiqué au Figaro l'entourage d'Eric Zemmour, confirmant une information d'Europe 1.

Il a été reconnu par un homme qui a commencé à l'insulter, lui hurlant «sur le Coran de la Mecque je vais te fumer». Le policier de la SDLP [service de la protection, ndlr] s'est alors interposé, mais l'individu «s'est excité», criant notamment «putain de raciste de merde», nous indique-t-on.

Eric Zemmour et le policier se sont alors dirigés vers le véhicule du journaliste afin de se mettre en sécurité. Une fois les deux hommes à l'intérieur de l'habitacle, la voiture a démarré et l'individu a «tapé sur le capot de la voiture».

Sur Twitter, Eric Zemmour a déploré cette agression, «le quotidien de tant de Français» selon lui. Le député des Alpes-Maritimes et candidat à la primaire de la droite Éric Ciotti a également réagi sur le réseau social, assurant apporter son «soutien» à Eric Zemmour. «Aucune personnalité engagée dans la vie politique ne peut être menacée pour ses idées», a-t-il ajouté.

Boulevard de Clichy ends near rue des Martys. An omen for Zemmour?  :hmm: Not far from the rue Saint-Just, ending in a dead end, close to the Batignolles cemetery (XVII district adjoining XVIII district).
Not too serious of an accident yet. Would get him a few votes if closer to the election, were he a candidate.

Sheilbh

And in terms of striking parallels with Zemmour is he has spoken before about running in Les Republicains' primary - and their president, Christian Jacob, has said that Zemmour is neither racist nor extreme right. So....:hmm:

I think Bertrand has said he'll run regardless and won't participate in any primary and I still think he's the best hope of the centre-right in France, but it may be that the rest of the centre-right decide they're not super interested in the "centre" bit of that anymore.

QuoteMan, the far-right really uses the same tricks everywhere.

"It's quoted out of context" ; "It's just a reaction against PCness"; "Please perform a finely-tuned, in-detail exegesis of this guy's oeuvre/discourses/radio show before you dare call him a racist"; "He's not a racist - racists just really like him for some weird reason".
Yes.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2021, 11:09:54 AM
And in terms of striking parallels with Zemmour is he has spoken before about running in Les Republicains' primary - and their president, Christian Jacob, has said that Zemmour is neither racist nor extreme right. So....:hmm:

I think Bertrand has said he'll run regardless and won't participate in any primary and I still think he's the best hope of the centre-right in France, but it may be that the rest of the centre-right decide they're not super interested in the "centre" bit of that anymore.

And in terms of striking apples and oranges, Les Républicains and the Republican party.
If they were really interested by the centre, most of them would not by Macron's rump party.

Yes. 

No.

Just ask Soral what he thinks of Zemmour.  :P Hint, he does not like him, there is even a bit of jealousy.
You can add Dieudonné to the list.

Some more finely-tuned, in-detail-exegegis for you, hopefully not too complex for you:

Right after he restated his assimilationist view, hardly far-right per se (originally left-wing).
QuoteJe tends la main aux musulmans. Beaucoup d'entre eux, qui ont fui les pays musulmans ne veulent pas islamiser la France mais vivre à la française. Nous devons le leur permettre.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1442417904654319619

https://twitter.com/ZemmourEric/status/1442046812827774979/photo/1

QuoteJe fais le distinguo entre l'islam et les musulmans. Les musulmans peuvent faire leur la culture française s'ils le souhaitent, comme je l'ai fait moi-même.

PDH

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 27, 2021, 10:53:54 AM
That's nice but this reminds me that my local favorite pastry shop for éclairs au chocolat closed down (boss retired) and I have not yet found a real replacement.

So you're saying there is nothing left to live for?
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: PDH on September 27, 2021, 02:04:03 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 27, 2021, 10:53:54 AM

So you're saying there is nothing left to live for?

Luckily, I still have a good local address for pains aux chocolat, so not all is lost.

Razgovory

Christ, it's like visiting Arkansas.  I only understand about half of what is being said it's mostly bigotry apologetics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 27, 2021, 11:22:09 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2021, 11:09:54 AM

And in terms of striking apples and oranges, Les Républicains and the Republican party.
If they were really interested by the centre, most of them would not by Macron's rump party.

Yes. 

No.

Just ask Soral what he thinks of Zemmour.  :P Hint, he does not like him, there is even a bit of jealousy.
You can add Dieudonné to the list.

Some more finely-tuned, in-detail-exegegis for you, hopefully not too complex for you:

Right after he restated his assimilationist view, hardly far-right per se (originally left-wing).
QuoteJe tends la main aux musulmans. Beaucoup d'entre eux, qui ont fui les pays musulmans ne veulent pas islamiser la France mais vivre à la française. Nous devons le leur permettre.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1442417904654319619

https://twitter.com/ZemmourEric/status/1442046812827774979/photo/1

QuoteJe fais le distinguo entre l'islam et les musulmans. Les musulmans peuvent faire leur la culture française s'ils le souhaitent, comme je l'ai fait moi-même.

You know exactly who is attracted to Zemmour. He knows it too, and has been veering more and more towards the unacceptable as the years go by and he tried to stay relevant.

A un moment donné, you have to stop analyzing the fine points of his discourse and look at who his supporters are.

He'll get under 5% if he runs, because try as you might to rationalize it, France is not Boujadiste anymore, there is no great replacement coming, and Zemmour is just another short man trying to compensate.